Like Tree1Likes

Chinese New Year (CNY)

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

For Chinese: Eat, sleep and play mahjong.

Means the only difference to a normal weekend is the playing mahjong part.

Staying at home and rest more.

Quote Originally Posted by packy_crusher:
    Just don't travel anywhere where mainland tourists are allowed to go, or you will be more than miserable.
    That counts out most of Asia then?

No family in HK but I guess I'll enjoy any celebrations that are taking place on the island - whether it be with locals, mainlanders or expats.

Quote Originally Posted by NimaMistry:
    That counts out most of Asia then?

No family in HK but I guess I'll enjoy any celebrations that are taking place on the island - whether it be with locals, mainlanders or expats.
    The fireworks seem to be the only thing I recall that expats find interesting.

As others note it is dead here as the locals visit family or travel to visit family like the guy in Wanchai market yesterday yelling Guangzhou over and over. We surmised he's going there.

In China IIRC they estimated that 137 million travelled during the CNY lead up and back.

If you are from Canada, picture Christmas day and the deadness of the streets and that is HK for the 3 days except for the fireworks which last what 20 minutes?

Travelling outside of HK wouldnt be all that fun btw, every man and his dog takes holidays this time of year, and it's a lot more peaceful just hanging out here in the HKG. While marvelling at the migration of a whole nation, even more amazing if mainland china and train travel is observed... Just wow....

As what has already been mentioned, if you aren't part of a Chinese family, CNY really isn't going to be quite as involving.

The harbour CNY fire works display will be the main public highlight, one of the biggest displays on Earth, plus in addition to that, most larger ( ie SHK etc ) apartment management companies or big corps will host lion dance displays which everybody can enjoy.

Lots of cooking/eating with family and close friends, while enjoying a well earned rest for having had an awesome last financial year, and welcoming an even better 2012... Personally it has always been a fave time of year for me, having also celebrated it in Melbournes little Bourke street with my ABC friends since a young man. .

Enjoy

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Here's what is going on a CNY for visitors:

Hong Kong Chinese New Year Celebrations 2012 – Hong Kong Tourism Board

Flower markets can be a crush at certain times.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    ....... estimated that 137 million travelled during the CNY lead up and back.
    I have read that was a typo and, in fact, it's 1.37 billion

More likely going down to Thailand.

A short Get Away that isnt too far away...

It's More Fun in the Philippines

More likely going down to Thailand. But I may celebrate it with those local scouts leaders which I am working with, as they were really kind asking me to go to their flat for the celebration. So may go to spend sometime with them rather than my Chinese and Caucasian here!!! I thought you planning travel around Asia???