Will be in HK 2 weeks, would like to make friends!

Closed Thread

Smile Will be in HK 2 weeks, would like to make friends!

I am an American female who will be in Hong Kong alone for a little over 2 weeks attending a Cantonese class at HKLLC. Im getting married next year and want to pick up more of my in laws language!

I have never been alone in another country before, so I am nervous and excited. I would love to meet any of you to hang out with on my days off from class! I will be coming in on the 22nd. Thanks!

Hi KeiChan,

You are only going to be studying Cantonese for 2 weeks? I'm studying cantonese in HK too! I'm studying @ CUHK. I'm a Canadian girl

-Elizabeth

Two weeks - too short to learn Cantonese, unless you know some Chinese already. Otherwise you will forget in a month.

However, it is a good chance to see and understand the local culture. If you can, try to extend your stay a little so that you can meet with people. I suppose some of your classmates are also expats and like to make new friends.

hello

Quote Originally Posted by KeiChan:
    I am an American female who will be in Hong Kong alone for a little over 2 weeks attending a Cantonese class at HKLLC. Im getting married next year and want to pick up more of my in laws language!

I have never been alone in another country before, so I am nervous and excited. I would love to meet any of you to hang out with on my days off from class! I will be coming in on the 22nd. Thanks!
    Hi KeiChan,

how are you? i live in hk just got married one month ago to an american guy. would love to meet you when you get here. cant wait to meet you gurl! see you soon!!

Richelle

yeah, two weeks is rather short, but It should help me build upon what I already speak. My fiance speaks cantonese and is too busy to teach me more!

Um... I suppose you will actually speak with him and his parents in Cantonese - good!

Meanwhile, enjoy HK!

Yea, at least you can continue to practice with your fiance later. Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by fsklee:
    Um... I suppose you will actually speak with him and his parents in Cantonese - good!

Meanwhile, enjoy HK!
    Yeah, I definately want to be nice to his parents and use their language with them. Many asian parents feel concerned tehier culture will disappear in future generations if a non asian is brought into teh family, and I want them to know if I ever have kids, they will learn their language too

Quote Originally Posted by richbonaccorso:
    Hi KeiChan,

how are you? i live in hk just got married one month ago to an american guy. would love to meet you when you get here. cant wait to meet you gurl! see you soon!!

Richelle
    Thanks!