Any New Yorkers here?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sadly, we all knew it was gonna happen. At least A-Rod took some of the light off 'em on their big night...lol

Things I miss about NYC

Some things I miss about New York:

1. Big, wide sidewalks and streets where you can walk without dodging from people left and right, front and back
    2. The smaller streets with boutiques, bars and restaurants in LES, SoHo, The Village...
    3. Ease of getting take out/delivery from good restaurants of all types of cuisines
    4. The Brooklyn Bridge
    5. Central Park in all seasons except Winter
    6. Zipcar
    7. Weekend brunches
    8. and the Pizza!

Another NYCer here!! lived there (Queens) for 17 years before moving here 3 years ago.

definitely miss the pizza and the mexican foods & the Subway series! Go Mets!! with boston winning, yankees fans forget about the crosstown rivalry anymore!!

Does anyone *really* want to talk about the Mets' season after the way it ended? Ouch. Anyway, it's the Yankees all the way. Never in doubt.

More stuff to miss:
    1. Crisp winter days...the smell of roasting chestnuts...the welcoming warmth of the subway station after a 20-block walk in the cold
    2. The skyline in the late night/early morning hours, when it really looks like Gotham
    3. Decorations at Xmastime, and people actually being a teeny bit nicer
    4. Ending up in a new neighborhood and being amazed by all the stuff you'd never seen before, even though you'd lived in the city for years
    5. The shared smile, smirk, grimace or glance with someone on the street, subway, or bus that you'll never see again

I miss the cafes, the restaurants, the diversity, the art, the music stores, the radical bookstores, its sleeplessness and many more.

Last edited by lawrenceray; 01-11-2007 at 05:09 PM.

Just arrived from New York City

Hello there,

My husband and I just moved here a couple of days ago from Manhattan (Murray Hill) and would be interested in meeting up with other New Yorkers or expats in general.

We're staying in Central.

hey Mega, there are plenty of roast chestnuts for sale in winter here in HK! Incidentally, my brother just landed in HK from NY with a suitcase of goodies for me A 40 of Olde English '800' is gonna taste great right about now

You're right, and the roasted chestnuts in HK are excellent. I realized after I posted that the roasted nuts on the street in NYC aren't chestnuts anyway, what with the whole chestnut blight thing.

Trans-Pacific trafficking of Olde English? Now that's high class.

Born and Raised in NY

Hi,

I didn't know this thread existed until I got a PM about it.

I'm from New York - spent my whole life there until I moved to HK 2 1/2 years ago.

I was born in the Bronx, grew up in Queens, went to High School in the Bronx, then college out at SUNY Stony Brook. Stayed on Long Island for many years to raise my kids and now I'm here in Hong Kong on my own.

I miss many things about New York:

1. Pizza served by friendly guys named Tony or Vinnie.

2. Christmas season.

3. New York accents.

4. People who walk in a straight line and don't stop spontaneously, causing you to either bump into them or veer around them.

5. New York style Chinese food.

6. Cold weather, sleet, and snow.

7. Driving.

8. Jewish delis.

9. Supermarkets where you drive your car into a parking lot, buy a whole bunch of stuff, then wheel it out, throw it in the trunk, and drive it all home.

10. Walmart (oh I know - it's terrible to say, but I do miss one-stop shopping places).

11. My family and my dog.

12. About a million other things.

Katharine

Still haven't cracked those 40s, but I had a Red Stripe and some jerk chicken earlier. Had my brother bring me a bunch of West Indian spices from Sutphin Blvd. in Queens that are impossible to buy in HK.

Something else I miss: getting directly hit on by chicks! Doesn't happen anywhere near as much here. I miss people trying to sell you swipes in the subway stations. I miss the subway a hell of a lot actually. The MTR is nowhere near as much fun.

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 10-12-2007 at 12:03 AM.