Lunar New Year Holiday

Closed Thread

Lunar New Year Holiday

Just wondering who among the expats are going out this evening for celebration or all pubs will be closed?

My favourite time of year is definitely the CNY holiday period..

Expats that have Chinese in laws/partners etc will be spending this evening with all their family for a ( Chinese eqv of a Christmas dinner ). in our case a Canto/Shanghainese home cooked feast. Lai sei and gifts given, the kids ( nephews and nieces ) love it.

After dinner we will browse the CNY lunar market stalls which tonight is the last night. Each district has them, if you are on the North side of the Island, Victoria Park has 400 stalls. As we live in the NT, we'll visit the equivalent in Yuen Long, some 170 stalls.

Best to make friends with a local and find out what its all about than just hang out at the pub, you can do that anytime of the year.

Kong Hei Fat Choi
    Last edited by Skyhook; 06-02-2008 at 06:04 PM.

Yeah, this evening most will be sharing a long, elaborate meal ("tuen neen fan") with family / relatives and close friends who are in HK - and then hang out together till well into the small hrs to welcome in the new year. Lots of noise, chatter and lights, whether it's your cuppa or not! It's a big deal like Xmas dinner or Thanksgiving.

Happy Lunar NY

Lunar Holiday

Well ,thanks people, we share you happyness about being at home with mom and pap, but what I asked is that what do those who are real expats, not "homeboys/girls" leaving in HK alone for a long time but having nothing to do at holidays such as lunar NY...that what I asked.....

ps. you are un happy to not know what slovenian do at their NY....it is not so boaring )))))

I think you may have misunderstood what SKYHOOK and SERA were stating - my interpretation is that there are simply stating although they are expats in HK they have been immersed into the culture and have chosen to celebrate CNY the same way as the mainstream community. I believe indirectly, they were stating that you may like to consider the same as an alternative to going out to the bars/pubs. Like visiting the outdoor venues - as I know several expats (newbies and oldies) heading out and taking part in the festivities in Victoria Park and other public places.

To answer your initial post more, the bars/pubs in LKF, SoHo, Wan Chai and Knuttsford Terrace should be open - I haven't known them to close for CNY in the past.

Kong Hei Fat Choy!