In Hong Kong on May 20th at 4PM? Witness my marriage!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

An educated guess, based on the info from his posts here. But I would like to take it back, it's an unkind comment.

Back to the issue at hand: I find it odd that two people would come here from China to get married when all their family and friends are over there... is there a compelling reason? To serve as a witness means you give your blessings and how can anyone do so not knowing neither the bride nor groom?

Last edited by cloudybay; 08-05-2008 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudybay:
    I find it odd that two people would come here from China to get married when all their family and friends are over there... is there a compelling reason? To serve as a witness means you give your blessings and how can anyone do so not knowing neither the bride nor groom?
    Why? Because Hong Kong is one of the simplest and quickest places to get married. There are all sorts of things you have to do in China - medicals, permission from all sorts of people, certificates etc. In Hong Kong just passports and 14 days notice.

And witnesses do no such thing - they simply fulfil the legal purpose of witnessing that two people undertook legal commitments. It's no different from being a witness to any other type of contract. You're not being asked to make any judgement on the quality of the contract, simply to witness that the people involved did enter into it apparently of their own free will.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:

And witnesses do no such thing - they simply fulfil the legal purpose of witnessing that two people undertook legal commitments. It's no different from being a witness to any other type of contract. You're not being asked to make any judgement on the quality of the contract, simply to witness that the people involved did enter into it apparently of their own free will.

Is this a shot-gun wedding? What's the rush? Who wouldn't want to have their love ones present on this very important occasion?

Will you be their witness, PDLM?

The rush could be in order to get a visa (either for so that they can live together somewhere or travel together) as soon as possible. For example, my wife was refused a US visa when we were engaged, but granted one immediately when we were married; that was one of the factors influencing us to get the formalities done quickly.

The party with friends and family can quite happily be completely separate from the legal formalities.

If they're stuck then I don't have a problem in principle acting as a witness.

Last edited by PDLM; 08-05-2008 at 05:50 PM.

Actually, it's not rushed. We've been planning to get married for a year now and from the beginning we knew we would get married in Hong Kong. We chose now because we finally got all of our papers in order and we would like to have the wedding (the actual wedding with family) this summer.

No one is coming to this, because in all honestly, they don't see this as a 'special event' where family has to be there. They simply see this as signing the paper. Not the wedding.

The wedding will be hosted by the bride's parents in their home and will certainly involve a large meal and plenty of alcohol.

There will be no priest, no alter, and no walking down the isle. Strange where I come from, but here this is how it works.

BTW, we chose Hong Kong because it's easier than going to Canada and I'm not 22, so I can't marry in the mainland.

Referring to a email...

To make it clear, I do not have two wives and this will be the first marriage for both of us.

I am still looking for a witness, just so you know. I haven't found anyone yet.

You bride is 25 and you aren't 22, yet. So how old are you? 18?

Eh, lets not make this about whether the husband should be older than the wife or not.

Quote Originally Posted by woaihuan:
    Eh, lets not make this about whether the husband should be older than the wife or not.
    i dont really mind the wife being older than the husband. i think we just curious of your age