any jazz saxophonists/ trumpet players out there??

Closed Thread

any jazz saxophonists/ trumpet players out there??

hiya,

i've got a small jazz band here that i'm trying to build. We currently need more horns--saxophonists/trumpetists.

Still working off standards, but will welcome songwriting ideas. Also, once things get more settled, we'll be looking into gigs.

please pm me if you're interested and let me know what your experience is.

emale jazz vocals looking to return after long break!

Hello,

I know this is a bit of a long one but may as well get it out there - you were looking for horns but maybe this will help me!

Would like to know where you play though...Just moved to HK with partner and looking for good jazz venues....

Ta, Sophie

I began singing in 2002 when I joined an adult education jazz group where musicians of all levels and genres went
    to play together as a jazz band. My influences from a very young age have
    been trad and big band, any Louis Armstrong, Count Basie, the 'Rat Pack’, and
    among the many female singers who inspired me the first was Ella Fitzgerald,
    then Doris Day, Billy Holiday, Ottilie Patterson, Julia Lee, and many more
    I can't remember or don't know the names of, but generally traditional jazz
    and standards.

Some of the college group formed a band and we started a
    successful (and paid!) regular Sunday night spot at a popular restaurant which was a first for the restaurant and is still going strong
    today. During this time I
    also sang with an established band for a private function, and did a couple
    of gigs at private residences. I joined an amateur 12-piece big band performing both publicly and privately. After a time another band and I
    established a regular Sunday lunch gig which is also still going strong today. Apart from the big
    band these gigs were with 3, 4, 5 and 6 piece bands as well as myself.

I have had private vocal lessons as well as the coaching from the jazz
    group, and in 2004 I attended the annual University of Glamorgan, Wales,
    'Glamorgan Jazz' workshop for one week.

In Muscat (2005) I joined a three piece band. We performed on a monthly basis and for special occasions, Friday Brunches
    and for private functions in various hotels. I sang with another three-piece band monthly, and we were booked for
    charity balls, private
    functions and a
    corporate party on-board a Dow boat.

I am very keen to start singing again, but it has been a while and ideally I'm looking to find willing musicians (or a pianist) to go through the old repertoire. I have my own microphones (unfortunately no PA here) and music for the
    following songs, although this is by no means a list of all the songs I know
    and can sing…

music ready for the following songs

1. Ain't Misbehavin'
    2. April In Paris
    3. I'm Beginning to See the Light
    4. Black Coffee
    5. Blue Skies
    6. Body & Soul
    7. I Can't Give you Anything But Love
    8. Embraceable You
    9. Frim Fram Sauce
    10. A Foggy Day
    11. A Fine Romance
    12. Gee Baby, Ain't I Good to You
    13 It's Delovely
    14. It Had to be You
    15. In a Mellow Tone
    16. Just One of Those Things
    17. Misty
    18. Night & Day
    19. The Nearness of You
    20. Our Love is Here To Stay
    21. Paper Moon
    22. Pennies From Heaven
    23. Stardust
    24. Satin Doll
    25. Stars Fell on Alabama
    26. Shiny Stockings
    27. Tea For Two
    28. They Can't Take That Away From Me
    29. The Way You Look Tonight
    30. Undecided
    31. With a Song In My Heart
    32. What is This Thing Called Love?
    33. Witchcraft
    34. You Do Something To Me

Hi there,

I play Saxohpone. Would like to what kind of music you guys going to play and maybe me sit in first.
    Looking forward to it.

Hi, Chek_m8 U got email?

I play alto sax and would definitely like to sit in. I can read practically everything from Gershwin to Parker but I am out of practice regarding my improvisation. In high school, I played section leader for both jazz and concert band. I love music and would enjoy the opportunity to play with you guys a lot.

Please send me a PM if you're interested or just post a time where we can meet.

Thanks,

-Chris

Hi Chris86,

It's cool to know you as I play Sax too, so u teach music as well? Or just make it as extra activities?

just for fun, I used to tutor kids a long time ago but I'm not qualified to teach professionally. I play in my apartment sometimes and my neighbors don't seem to complain so I think i'm doing something right...