americans in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hey, I am also an American in HK and around your age. Also, don't really know anyone else here aside from family...are there any get togethers in the near future?

P.S. For the poster that brought it up, I was also born and raised in NY

I'm from NY - upstate. Here for 7 months. almost double your age tho... almost.

When you go to a foreign place......why do you want to meet westerners? Don't you want to explore the culture and get a real feel for what it's like living in a foreign place aside from sticking with westerners? Get in touch with the locals, you get to meet enough westerners in NY.

Smile I agree

Yes. I agree. Why don't you go explore the place you live. Even the bad things....

cheers

Funny to go in HK to meet americans only. Especially when you wont stay a long time.

Nothing wrong with wanting to meet up with fellow Americans. It certainly helps some people ward off homesickness.

Not from US myself, but another English-speaking country... Sometimes finding people to hold a "prolonged" conversation with is not so easy here because of different cultural references and experiences, and language limitations. But I'm not saying I don't also enjoy/learn from mixing with locals.

The "homesickness" part I've gradually got over, the longer I stay in HK. Love it here now.

Last edited by sera; 29-06-2008 at 03:33 PM.

It certainly does help to hang out with fellow Americans to ward off homesickness. I totally agree with that. Start off hanging out at the usual expat places like Central (LKF), Admiralty, Wanchai and maybe Causeway Bay. Than why not venture out of your comfort zone and go for an adventure......like TST (quite a few expats there too like in Knutsford Terrace) than to Yau Ma Tei, Mong Kok, Prince Edward and also Sham Shui Po to check out the real local places. After that than perhaps you can check out the islands like Lamma Island, Cheung Chau, Lantau and etc... The choice is yours and there are many choices in HK. Above all i hope you enjoy your stay here and welcome to Hong Kong!!! =)

Cheers,

halo...im ring..^^...lets be friend then^^

haha...all the guest in my shop is foreigner too...cuz i work in hard rock cafe