View Poll Results: Single Expats: Have you had an easier or harder time dating in HK?

Voters
391. You may not vote on this poll
  • Easier dating HK locals

81 20.72%
  • Easier dating expats in HK

61 15.60%
  • No difference

81 20.72%
  • Harder dating expats in HK

92 23.53%
  • Harder dating HK locals

76 19.44%
Like Tree24Likes

Single Expats: Have you had an easier or harder time dating in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 67 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Single Expats: Have you had an easier or harder time dating in HK?

Where did you find success? Nightclubs? Bars? Office? Clubhouse?

I've dated coworkers and met women in bars. Overall, HK residents (locals and expats) just seem to be friendlier than people in the US.

Annisa Lai likes this.

I don't understand the poll... I can only choose one answer, but it seems that you've split the question in two - dating locals and dating expats - so that needs two answers.

Donnialda likes this.

well i am so new i haven't even time to look around...do you think it's difficult to find someone to date here??

I found it significantly easier to meet interesting women I could really communicate with in NYC. The only woman who's really been notable since I moved back in December '04 was American.

I agree with PDLM, that poll makes no sense.

Donnialda, HaroldSpikes and Lisa89 like this.

And anyway, why is this poll limited to single expats? Many married expats in Hong Kong date as well!

I agree that the Poll title is straightforward enough but the categories within the Poll make it difficult to answer.

For my two-cents' worth it is easy to make casual acquaintances in HK but hard IMO to form lasting relationships. I feel this is very much a HK thing for various reasons.

'Dating' is easy in HK (especially on Sundays) - sustaining and developing a relationship with limited dating opportunities is, however, a different matter. I speak as a divorced guy in his mid 40s.

Blondie's hit, Sunday Girl, springs to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by chowfun:
    Where did you find success? Nightclubs? Bars? Office? Clubhouse?

I've dated coworkers and met women in bars. Overall, HK residents (locals and expats) just seem to be friendlier than people in the US.
    Butting in with my slight off-topic take on this strangely-put query.

I'm an "expat" and Chinese... Seems a lot easier dating other expats who are also Chinese than to date HK "locals" who haven't lived and travelled (not just studied) for some years overseas - no offense intended.

Not entirely sure what the difference is - maybe to do with language and communication (ease of?), as well as common cultural points of reference, not just interests.

Re: Where you first meet
    Through work, but mostly through friends of friends and their acquaintainces and other such circles... anywhere, over something liquid and/or a bite-2-eat

So far, never complete strangers at bars or clubs or even the gym. (Hm, curious... bit of a conservative streak showing or is it an unspoken no-no for women here?)
    Last edited by sera; 21-07-2008 at 01:12 PM. Reason: "Asian" perspective?

Quote Originally Posted by sera:
    I'm an "expat" and Chinese... Seems a lot easier dating other expats who are also Chinese than to date HK "locals" who haven't lived and travelled (not just studied) for some years overseas - no offense intended.

Not entirely sure what the difference is - maybe to do with language and communication (ease of?), as well as common cultural points of reference, not just interests.
    I feel that HK residents who have not spent time overseas are difficult to date...this is the opinion of a gweilo man (me ) who has just broken up with his local g/f...single again! I have assumed that this is just a provincial quirk (with all due respect); it may be the same in other parts of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by sera:
    So far, never complete strangers at bars or clubs or even the gym. (Hm, curious... bit of a conservative streak showing or is it an unspoken no-no for women here?)
    I am the same, although with me it might be related to my age - I am in my 40's.

or perhaps it is due to my appearance?

:bigparty
    Clekittybites likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by squid:
    I feel that HK residents who have not spent time overseas are difficult to date...

I am the same, although with me it might be related to my age - I am in my 40's.
    I will not disagree with either of those two statements.

You could try a local lady who has been married before with a gweilo or, as you rightly say, a HK lady who has spent time overseas.

In general, if like me you are single or divorced in your 40s it will be harder for you to meet a HK Chinese girl in her 20s or early 30s. Not impossible -just harder.

Donno....

Since i am extremely good looking, smart... it has always been easy for me...

What kind of poll is that?

Lisa89 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 67 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast