Aussie Expats in Hong Kong - want to start a club

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gazmario:
    I actually find I get along pretty well with Brits because even though we sometimes use different slang, there's enough of a crossover for us to usually get each other. And it helps that they've watched enough Neighbours and Home and Away, while we've got all their excellent British comedy over the years.

I know who got the better deal outta that little exchange
    Well you did give us Prisoner Cell Block H and Flying Doctors as well and also that mini series Brides of Christ and not forgetting that Legend Rolph Harris

Crikey, we had the same ideas at the same time.
    Ha ha, Top effort bloke....

But as i said, the British do articulate English in the same manner as we do, no argument or surprize, considering we share the same versions of the dictionary, and similar educational core foundations of communication. Especially at corporate level.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 27-10-2008 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Well you did give us Prisoner Cell Block H and Flying Doctors as well and also that mini series Brides of Christ and not forgetting that Legend Rolph Harris
    Damn, Rolf Harris is a legend. He's even played Glastonbury a few times

While we're on the topic, I saw something totally bizarre on TV last night. The place where I live is weird in that the only TV I receive is about five crappy channels, two of which are Japanese analogue stations (not sure how or why).

So I am watching a Japanese variety show (as you do), and some big Japanese bloke comes on in a pink suit and starts singing 'Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport' in English. The best thing is, there were subtitles, which totally highlighted for me that the guy singing and his audience must have had no bloody idea what the song was about!!!

Hilarious when sung with a thick, gruff Japanese accent:

Watch me wallaby's feed, mate,
    watch me wallaby's feed.
    They're a dangerous breed, mate,
    so watch me wallaby's feed.
    All together now!

Tie me kangaroo down, sport,
    Tie me kangaroo down.
    Tie me kangaroo down.

Keep me cockatoo cool, Curl,
    Keep me cockatoo cool.
    Don't go acting the fool, Curl,
    Keep me cockatoo cool.
    All together now!

Tie me kangaroo down.
    Tie me kangaroo down.

Take me koala back, Jack,
    Take me koala back.
    He lives somewhere out on the track, Mac,
    So take me koala back.
    All together now!

Tie me kangaroo down.
    Tie me kangaroo down.

Mind me platypus duck, Bill,
    Mind me platypus duck.
    Don't let him go running amuck, Bill,
    Mind me platypus duck.
    All together now!

Tie me kangaroo down.
    Tie me kangaroo down.

Play your didgeridoo, Blue,
    Play your didgeridoo.
    Keep playing 'til I shoot through, Blue,
    Play your didgeridoo.
    All together now!

Tie me kangaroo down.
    Tie me kangaroo down.

Tan me hide when I'm dead, Fred,
    Tan me hide when I'm dead.
    So we tanned his hide when he died, Clyde,
    (spoken)And that's it hanging on the shed.

confession

I have a confession to make.. Since coming to HK a year and a half ago, I think my Aussie accent has been watered down somewhat. When my cousin came over to teach English here a few years ago and developed an English accent, I was astounded, but it seems to happen relatively easily here to a number of people who come over. When my brother came over to visit, he thought I sounded a bit English (!) I think it must be a combination of making sure that one is understood clearly to people who don't have English as a first language, and hanging out with English speakers from all over the world with all different sorts of accents. I probably haven't hung out with enough Aussies!

Damn, Rolf Harris is a legend. He's even played Glastonbury a few times

While we're on the topic, I saw something totally bizarre on TV last night. The place where I live is weird in that the only TV I receive is about five crappy channels, two of which are Japanese analogue stations (not sure how or why).
    Hehe.. for some bizarre reason, I suddenly have flashbacks of the song from Burke's Backyard..

Give me a home among the gum trees
    With lots of plum trees
    A sheep or two and a [barbecue/dog or two/kangaroo] (?)
    A clothesline out the back
    Veranda out the front
    And an old rocking chair..

I am almost feel a tear of nostalgia coming on!
    Last edited by muse07; 27-10-2008 at 03:55 PM. Reason: could not quite remember one of the lines

Quote Originally Posted by muse07:
    I think it must be a combination of making sure that one is understood clearly to people who don't have English as a first language
    This is definitelty true. Whenever I speak to a non-native speaker, I definitelt modify my speech so that it's more 'standard'. I don't think my accent changes, but I definitelty speak slower and more clearly. So various non-native speakers say things like 'I can't undertstand 'x' or 'y', because he speak with a strong accent. But you don't have any accent'.

Hehe.. for some bizarre reason, I suddenly have flashbacks of the song from Burke's Backyard..

With lots of plum trees
    Veranda out the front

Ahhh...how's the serenity? Remember that the only thing better than serenity, is a big two stroke engine on full throttle!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRti7EotiNE"]YouTube - Dreams of Serenity[/ame]
    Last edited by gazmario; 27-10-2008 at 04:10 PM.

With lots of plum trees
    Veranda out the front

A live performance of John Williamson singing it at Stevo's memorial.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9Afzgbtwmg"]YouTube - John Williamson - Home Among The Gum Trees (Steve Irwin)[/ame]

There wasn't a dry eye in our house when they played this one live during Steve Irwin's memorial service.... A very sad day
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCmIHKT6WHs&feature=related"]YouTube - Steve Irwin memorial - John Williamson sings True Blue[/ame] known as Steve's song now, because he was True blue !
    Last edited by Skyhook; 27-10-2008 at 04:30 PM.

Interestingly, although I speak with an "english" accent (on account of being born there), most people pick up that I'm [also] Australian (a few mistake it as Kiwi, sighs) on account of the phrases I use.... and I don't use the whole dictionary by any stretch of the imagination, just a few arvo's and barbies and sunnies and swimmers etc etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Interestingly, although I speak with an "english" accent (on account of being born there), most people pick up that I'm [also] Australian (a few mistake it as Kiwi, sighs) on account of the phrases I use.... and I don't use the whole dictionary by any stretch of the imagination, just a few arvo's and barbies and sunnies and swimmers etc etc etc

"Swimmers"? I think you mean togs.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast