Like Tree58Likes

Young Filipino Professionals in HK 2016 thread

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Hello all, this is a huge stretch but did anyone here sing or dance back in school? I'm not Filipino but I was a member of the Org of Young Filipinos back in the US and they would organize performances annually because, as my Filipino American friend said, singing/dancing/having fun is ingrained in Filipino culture. Overall, I had such good food and made so many great memories being in the student club. That said, does anyone here do street style dances like Hip Hop/House or urban dance styles? Maybe we can get together to dance for fun?

Good day. tanong ko lang po sa following questions. sa IT po work ko and me offer kase for work there in HK.
    Accommodation:
    1. Saan po ba makahanap ng marentahang affordable apartment (siguro not more than 10k/mo). Ang work location ko dw ay sa Tseung Kwan O.
    2. Me sharing accommodations din po ba mahanap and all Pinoy? at saan? di ko kase masearch sa online and fb.
    3. At kung mgrent ng apartment, usually anong terms? like ilang months deposit.

Work Visa.
    1. Date kase aka network sa Singapore and I already have BMonline acct. mas madali po ba kukuha ng OEC dyan sa HK? or kukuha nlng aka ditto sa pinas, kelangan pa kase apointment ulit pra maupdate yung new employer and jobsite.
    2. Plan ko sana exit ng Pinas as tourist and kukuha ng OEC dyan, ganito kase ginawa ko sa Singapore date, not sure dyan sa HK?

Maraming slamat po sa inyong inputs.

Hello guys, is there a whatsapp group for this cuz I would really like to meet fellow filipino professionals here in HK. I moved here 6 months ago and currently working here. Thanks!

Ptrpol and jellly like this.

Hi Merry Christmas hahahhaa Is this still active? Would like to meetup. Just starting to settle in HK. Working in finance in Kwuntong/Central area ~~

Ydieh likes this.

Hello Filo-mates,

My name is Melody and I just joined. Newbie here.. Hope to meet some Filipinos around HK..

Buzz me ??

Hi @eyeney31 hope your still active! Would love to meetup too

Hi there. We are relocating to HK from Dubai via my company. When you moved with your family, do have any recommendations for affordable primary schools with English as medium of instruction? Where do our fellow Filipinos send their kids to school in HK?

Thanks.

I am not Filipina but there is a large community here on Peng Chau and lots of their kids go to the local school (Holy Family) which is Chinese Medium of instruction- I go to church (English speaking) on the island and the Filipino kids at church all speak perfect English so they are going to know a lot of languages! (we sometimes sing Tagalog songs and the children do that as well). They are nice children, many of whom sing in the choir and they seem to get along well with each other.
    A school that children from outlying islands attend which is English medium of instruction is Catholic Mission School - I can't say how many Filipino kids go there. Pretty sure it is direct aided school so no tuition I think or affordable:
    Catholic Mission School

Quote Original Post:
    I am not Filipina but there is a large community here on Peng Chau and lots of their kids go to the local school (Holy Family) which is Chinese Medium of instruction- I go to church (English speaking) on the island and the Filipino kids at church all speak perfect English so they are going to know a lot of languages! (we sometimes sing Tagalog songs and the children do that as well). They are nice children, many of whom sing in the choir and they seem to get along well with each other.
    A school that children from outlying islands attend which is English medium of instruction is Catholic Mission School - I can't say how many Filipino kids go there. Pretty sure it is direct aided school so no tuition I think or affordable:
    Catholic Mission School

That is very kind of you to respond. Catholic Mission School is on my list so that is good to hear. I also have Li Sing Tai Hang School and Delia English Primary in Mei Foo. My son does not speak Chinese and neither do we, hence looking for a DSS where English is widely spoken also outside classes. Thanks again for the guidance.

I have seen tons of British, American, Australian kids coming back from CMS to the ferries (mainly Discovery Bay) so guessing there is a lot of English spoken outside of class.

Depending on the age, kids can pick up Chinese BUT...homework, yeah, that can be an issue as you can't really help with that. I see the kids from the Peng Chau school on the ferry going on field trips and the Filipino kids often sit together and speak English with each other.

There is also a school that teaches mostly in English but is designed for learning Chinese- from the names of the kids (they post their work) seems to manly be Nepali kids but some British, American, and Filipino names. It is less well known/popular might be easier to get a spot (because you know about all those issues with primary school spots, I am sure).

http://www.pokokps.edu.hk/frame.html

By the way, depending on where you work (Central, Sheung Wan, Wan Chai?) Peng Chau is a doable commute and many schools have buses that pick up at the ferry pier. Lots of kids "commute" to school (even kindergarten kids!). It's a nice, healthy lifestyle here, kids riding bikes everywhere, running around and playing, more normal life than other places in HK. The local school teaches English well so even the Chinese kids are pretty good- plus their practice with the Filipino kids. Maybe it wasn't somewhere you were thinking about but check out all the islands area (Mui Wo has a decent-sized Filipino population but haven't seen as many kids at their church as at our church). Basically I am the only non-Filipina at my church but people are very warm and welcoming.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast