Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12
Like Tree54Likes

Young Filipino Professionals in HK 2016 thread

I have seen tons of British, American, Australian kids coming back from CMS to the ferries (mainly Discovery Bay) so guessing there is a lot of English spoken outside of class.

Depending on the age, kids can pick up Chinese BUT...homework, yeah, that can be an issue as you can't really help with that. I see the kids from the Peng Chau school on the ferry going on field trips and the Filipino kids often sit together and speak English with each other.

There is also a school that teaches mostly in English but is designed for learning Chinese- from the names of the kids (they post their work) seems to manly be Nepali kids but some British, American, and Filipino names. It is less well known/popular might be easier to get a spot (because you know about all those issues with primary school spots, I am sure).

http://www.pokokps.edu.hk/frame.html

By the way, depending on where you work (Central, Sheung Wan, Wan Chai?) Peng Chau is a doable commute and many schools have buses that pick up at the ferry pier. Lots of kids "commute" to school (even kindergarten kids!). It's a nice, healthy lifestyle here, kids riding bikes everywhere, running around and playing, more normal life than other places in HK. The local school teaches English well so even the Chinese kids are pretty good- plus their practice with the Filipino kids. Maybe it wasn't somewhere you were thinking about but check out all the islands area (Mui Wo has a decent-sized Filipino population but haven't seen as many kids at their church as at our church). Basically I am the only non-Filipina at my church but people are very warm and welcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau
    I have seen tons of British, American, Australian kids coming back from CMS to the ferries (mainly Discovery Bay) so guessing there is a lot of English spoken outside of class.

Depending on the age, kids can pick up Chinese BUT...homework, yeah, that can be an issue as you can't really help with that. I see the kids from the Peng Chau school on the ferry going on field trips and the Filipino kids often sit together and speak English with each other.

There is also a school that teaches mostly in English but is designed for learning Chinese- from the names of the kids (they post their work) seems to manly be Nepali kids but some British, American, and Filipino names. It is less well known/popular might be easier to get a spot (because you know about all those issues with primary school spots, I am sure).

http://www.pokokps.edu.hk/frame.html

By the way, depending on where you work (Central, Sheung Wan, Wan Chai?) Peng Chau is a doable commute and many schools have buses that pick up at the ferry pier. Lots of kids "commute" to school (even kindergarten kids!). It's a nice, healthy lifestyle here, kids riding bikes everywhere, running around and playing, more normal life than other places in HK. The local school teaches English well so even the Chinese kids are pretty good- plus their practice with the Filipino kids. Maybe it wasn't somewhere you were thinking about but check out all the islands area (Mui Wo has a decent-sized Filipino population but haven't seen as many kids at their church as at our church). Basically I am the only non-Filipina at my church but people are very warm and welcoming.
    Thanks for sharing. Work will be in Queen’s Road Central. I saw that the commute to Peng Chau or Discovery Bay is 1+hour each way. Might be too stressful for a newcomer to HK. May consider in the future as housing in Discovery Bay is way better and more value for money than on island.

DB is 25 minutes by ferry each way, Peng Chau 30 mins or 40 mins depending on which ferry you take. Relaxing boat ride, then just an easy walk. PC, everywhere is 5-10 mins to ferry pier (most people bike there or walk if they live close). DB, well I guess most bus to the pier.

Depending on where you live in HK island, commute time can be about the same. And longer if you live on Kowloon.

For kids, well, might be longer commute depending on bus ride. Not sure if the buses have a lot of stops. But seems a lot of kids do it so there are other kids to hang out with. Depends really on the child- some children want a lot of outdoor space, others don't care (my own daughter had a lot of outdoor space but was a bookworm who couldn't have cared less...).

Anyway, so much will depend on where you manage to find a school spot, that is the most important (and stressful!) thing for you right now. Kind of just a matter of luck what schools have openings depending on what children have left the school...

Good luck in the search, I have a coworker just doing all the kindergarten applications and it's more work than my daughter did applying to university!!

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau
    DB is 25 minutes by ferry each way, Peng Chau 30 mins or 40 mins depending on which ferry you take. Relaxing boat ride, then just an easy walk. PC, everywhere is 5-10 mins to ferry pier (most people bike there or walk if they live close). DB, well I guess most bus to the pier.

Depending on where you live in HK island, commute time can be about the same. And longer if you live on Kowloon.

For kids, well, might be longer commute depending on bus ride. Not sure if the buses have a lot of stops. But seems a lot of kids do it so there are other kids to hang out with. Depends really on the child- some children want a lot of outdoor space, others don't care (my own daughter had a lot of outdoor space but was a bookworm who couldn't have cared less...).

Anyway, so much will depend on where you manage to find a school spot, that is the most important (and stressful!) thing for you right now. Kind of just a matter of luck what schools have openings depending on what children have left the school...

Good luck in the search, I have a coworker just doing all the kindergarten applications and it's more work than my daughter did applying to university!!
    Mine would be an incoming Primary 4 DOB 31 Dec 2010. Hopefully it wont be as tough. Will definitely consider your points, very helpful. Hope to catch up with you soon in HK.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12