• 1 Post By quantzie
  • 1 Post By chuckster007
  • 1 Post By quantzie
  • 1 Post By 441211
  • 1 Post By Cornmeal

Mobile plan in HongKong

Closed Thread

Mobile plan in HongKong

What are some good mobile plans in HongKong for a short visit?
    I once activated international roaming on my existing SIM for 2 weeks, and had suffered from the huge bill next month. So, this time I am considering taking local SIMs after I land in HongKong.

As soon as you land and arrive at the arrival halls, go to the centre, there is a CSL shop there and they sell the sim cards, CSL sim cards also comes with auto wifi connect, they have the largest wifi spread in HK. The shop will help you with the card set up if you have any problems.

Rob2020 and ben_s like this.

CSL prepaid cards have auto wifi connect but you are required to login each time if I am not mistaken.

https://www.hkcsl.com/en/Discover-HK...t-Prepaid-SIM/

ben_s likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by quantzie:
    CSL prepaid cards have auto wifi connect but you are required to login each time if I am not mistaken.
    if you click on csl auto wifi on the wifi listing, it will connect automatically from then on, something I learned a few weeks ago when i went to the shop and the guy said, just press that one once and its will connnect automatically always LOL

ben_s likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    if you click on csl auto wifi on the wifi listing, it will connect automatically from then on, something I learned a few weeks ago when i went to the shop and the guy said, just press that one once and its will connnect automatically always LOL

Thanks for the tip.....I'm actually using 3 but I run out of data really fast so I bought a CSL prepaid to use their hotspots. Really economical at $3 a month
    ben_s likes this.

Thanks for your relevant insights here, everyone!
    Meanwhile, I was also exploring some options myself. A friend in Hong Kong receommended Lycamobile as they have unlimited data plans.
    However, I am not too sure about Lycamobile. What do you feel about their mobile plans?

Re lycamobile: take a look at this thread:

https://geoexpat.com/forum/121/thread342691.html

I would say it's fine for a short visit, just don't expect it to be very fast. If you want to call or video with people back home, it might not be very reliable. But for casual messaging or light browsing it's good enough.

ben_s likes this.

I've found the CSL tourist SIMs great for making voice calls, you get a lot of local and even international talk for the price however I find the auto-connect wifi a PITA and wasn't very useful, unless you remain in the hotspot.

You can pick up a China Global SIM next to Mong Kok MTR ($100 then $80 afterwards) which gives you only a tiny bit of talk but 6gbs of data. So if you download WhatsApp you can communicate with almost anyone except some companies and governmental orgs but for those you can try Google Hangouts or Skype.

HKBN has a promo now for 3000 mins and 3gs+2gs, 4G, for $78/m, or 3500mins and 6gbs for $138/m. Although I'm not familiar with any of the local telecoms and how good their service contracts are.

https://apply.hkbn.net/broadband/mob...nk&utm_term=EN

ben_s likes this.