UK chick moving to HK in Jan - want to make friends!

Closed Thread

UK chick moving to HK in Jan - want to make friends!

Hi all,

Well, I have had no luck at all with the job market in the UK and so I am moving to Hong Kong in the New Year as I have been fortunate enough to have been offered a job in HK with my old ad company!

I have travelled on my own quite a bit before - Oz, South Africa, Thailand and South America, so don't have problems meeting people (I am really outgoing, love a party, am very sociable, love a drink or ten, and am a lot of fun)! But...I guess that actually moving to a country v backpacking it around places are two entirely different things!

I don't think that there are that many ex pats who work at the offices that I will be in so I am going to look to join a couple of clubs when I get out there (e.g. wakeboarding and horse riding) - so I am not 100% sure the best way of meeting people (no weirdos please) is - I guess sitting in a bar and chatting to randoms is the way forward!

However, if any of you are in the same boat as me, e.g. are looking to make new friends, are about to move out to HK too and would love to get to know someone then please do let me know - you can reach me at [email protected]

Just a bit about myself - I am 29, from the UK, love going out and really want to have a lot of fun in HK (as well as work hard and do well in my career, which is after all, why I am going out there - but want to work hard and play VERY hard), which is what I have been told I will have!

Hope to hear from like-minded people really soon!

There is a photo of me attached

Katie xx

P.S. Is it really true that all ex pat men are after Asian women? Although I am giving men a little bit of a break for the time being, it would be nice to meet that someone special over there!

Wow you're hot! Let us know when your break is over.

Am confused...what do you mean when my break is over....

Quote Originally Posted by brommers:
    Hi all,

Well, I have had no luck at all with the job market in the UK and so I am moving to Hong Kong in the New Year as I have been fortunate enough to have been offered a job in HK with my old ad company!

I have travelled on my own quite a bit before - Oz, South Africa, Thailand and South America, so don't have problems meeting people (I am really outgoing, love a party, am very sociable, love a drink or ten, and am a lot of fun)! But...I guess that actually moving to a country v backpacking it around places are two entirely different things!

I don't think that there are that many ex pats who work at the offices that I will be in so I am going to look to join a couple of clubs when I get out there (e.g. wakeboarding and horse riding) - so I am not 100% sure the best way of meeting people (no weirdos please) is - I guess sitting in a bar and chatting to randoms is the way forward!

However, if any of you are in the same boat as me, e.g. are looking to make new friends, are about to move out to HK too and would love to get to know someone then please do let me know - you can reach me at [email protected]

Just a bit about myself - I am 29, from the UK, love going out and really want to have a lot of fun in HK (as well as work hard and do well in my career, which is after all, why I am going out there - but want to work hard and play VERY hard), which is what I have been told I will have!

Hope to hear from like-minded people really soon!

There is a photo of me attached

Katie xx

P.S. Is it really true that all ex pat men are after Asian women? Although I am giving men a little bit of a break for the time being, it would be nice to meet that someone special over there!
    Hi Katie, fellow Brit here – moved out four months ago and my wife and I have met tonnes of really nice people (largely through geo-expat). I’d highly recommend going along to some of the meetups – dim sum is always a good one as a gives you a chance to chat. Or the happy hour drinks if you need some booze to get things going. Where abouts will you be living and working?

As for the fellas going after locals? Not in my experience. The vast majority of people I know have hooked up with other expats… at least the guys our age anyway.

I believe you said ...

Quote Originally Posted by brommers:
    I am giving men a little bit of a break for the time being

Yup have to agree with Limepickle

Theres definately a great social scene out here and also regular meetups organised by members here so you should be fine.

Plenty of us Brits around in the late twenties to early thirties age group so you'll have no problems in fitting right in

We look forward to meeting you, If you're on Facebook then theres quite a few of us there and we usually organise stuff here and via Fb too.

ejc317

Heya,

I would be interested in wakeboarding etc but im rather young so nto sure if you hang out with younger people (I'm 23)

Thank you for your replies and keep em coming

I would love to go wakeboarding with you - your age does not bother me one bit!

I only have one problem - I might not be moving now as I think my offer has fallen through - am gutted!

Will keep you posted!

x

if you do decide to come to hk.....come earlier. I'm just visiting till the 30th. check my other post in meet and greet....

rainman