Lantau Island!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Talking Lantau Island!

Newbie in HK and never been. Am thinking of checking this place out this Saturday. Don't know what to expect but who cares. Shouldn't start way too early.

Who's in?

To those who's been, do share your experience and the need-to-do list in Lantau. We'll depend on your local knowledge and hiting up these spots!

ooh, how lovely...I'm actually hoping to find some people to hike up to the big Buddha with me this Sat from Tung Chung - don't suppose you'd be interested?

Interested! Tell me more!

Lead and I shall follow.

If you go to Mui Wo by ferry try and go on the slower boat - takes longer but it is nice. Then get the bus up to the Buddha.

From the Buddha take the bus to Tai O and for a quick look around take the $18 boat road (IIRC) around the traditional fishing village and out past General Rock. Then walk around and try some of the local dried fish you can see cooking on the street.

Bus to Tung Chung and MTR home - not a bad day.

you can take the cable car ride back to Tung Chung which could be exciting. Ngong Ping 360 Official Website - Po Lin Monastery, Giant Buddha and more

hi

count me in !

I think it will be nice adventure.. As a new episode of friends.. tataaa

the cable car is great! sometimes a very long queue though.

What do you want to know about Lantau? Since I've circumnavigated it in a kayak, I can tell you about its surrounding water

Day trip should be cool. There is a private beach along the NE shore (藍鯨灣... not sure what it's officially called in English, but translates into "blue whale bay") with a row of lange chairs, a half-developed "park" with ponds and boats and lots of trees, and quite a few row boats parked around it. However, it's only accessible by hiking or by boats (and I heard it was somewhat damaged in the 2008 typhoons... I wouldn't know, I visited in early 2007.) If you're trying to avoid the public (for rowdy party or skinny dipping purpose, for example...), this is probably the place to go.

Lots of people go fishing under the bridge between Lantau and the airport, so if you like near-shore fishing, you should have no trouble finding friends. And it's only a few minutes from the Tung Chun MTR station.

Cheung Sha is pretty nice too. But "Fun Lau" (分流) is no fun if you are on the water and the wind is coming from the west or SW. One of the choppiest sea I've ever seen in HK -- easily beats the waves around Waglan, Lamma south, or Ko Lau Wan.

Been to Mui Wo by bus ... ugh, the bus ride was no fun.

Can't recommand camping though, but if you must, bring ear-plugs. Flights are 24/7 and you can hear them pretty much any where along the north side.

What do you have in mind? Since I live on Disco Bay I might join ... but not particularly interested in bar-hoping, since I drink like a girl

Okay, guide wanted!

We need a volunteer who can take us out to Lantau. You guys painted a place so interesting that I just can't wait, but as I've never been (which is why we're exploring), am asking if there's any kind hearted geo-expats out there who can spare the day and guide a few lost newbies around the island?

Don't really know if there is, but worth giving a shout of help out! We'll make sure that the company will rock, so no regrets!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast