Book Club/Social

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

If you're open to suggestions from a publisher, I'd like to recommend Apologies Forthcoming -- Stories not about Mao which is locally relevant and has been getting great reviews. It's available from ShopinHK for $95.

Or perhaps:

Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout

This book is a collection of 13 connected short stories, won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 2009, and was a finalist for the 2008 National Book Critics Circle Award.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/20/bo.../Thomas-t.html

i like the idea of reading Elizabeth Strout. I don't know her work, but the above review was quite good and it would be a change of pace.

Let's decide by this coming Monday night whether to adopt this as our next selection.

And, even if you haven't read the current book, you are welcome to come to this Monday night's discussion to meet people.

Just to remind everyone, the next meeting is Monday, July 20 at 7:30
    at Cafe O in Sheung Wan. If anything comes up at work at the last minute, I will post an email to the site. But I assume things should be ok.

I'm up for either option though i'm not sure if it is too late to both get a new book and read the first chapter in the time available.

I might also be late or unavailable for the next meeting so start without me =)

-Arthur

Hey guys. Ling and Daivd here. we are afraid we cannot make for the meeting tomorrow night as we have guests with us at the moment, but will catch up with you guys next time. Could you keep us posted (my email: [email protected]) for the next meeting please? Cheers and have a good time tomorrow evening.

now on a break from the meeting, not sure if I can make it to the meeting with you guys tonight, I'll appreciate that if you could keep me updated about the next meeting and the chosen book, thanks!!!
    my email [email protected]

Irene

Last edited by sushiirene; 20-07-2009 at 05:40 PM.

i am interested to join the group. I would like to know more details about this. please pm me the further details for meeting up. Thx!~

Our last meeting went well.

At this point, I have reviewed all the recommended books (which were not so many). It would be a good change of pace to deal with a contemporary author. So I believe our next book will be Olive Kitteridge. I have not read it, and cannot vouch for its quality, but here is some info:

Olive Kitteridge - Google Search

ReadingGroupGuides.com - Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout

Also, a couple of questions:
    1) How many people would like to read non-fiction? If so, are there any specific themes you would like to pursue?
    2) So far we have met on Monday evenings? How many people prefer weekends or would rather keep it during the week.

Thanks.

Next meeting time: Barring any strong objections, our next meeting will be Monday, August 3 at 7:30 at Cafe O in Sheung Wan.

Towards the time of meeting, please RSVP whether or not you can make it.

See you there.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast