Book Club/Social

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Book Club/Social

I would be interested in meeting people to read and discuss books in a friendly sociable environment.

To make it work, we would need to try to get off the ground quickly and meet at least once every 2 weeks.

I am easy going, but not to scare anyone, I received a PHD in Literature, so my taste tends towards something more serious. But that includes a broad range..

Please let me know if you are interested.

Best,
    Douglas

Hi Douglas,
    I'm interested, but it will depend on the book chosen. Of which are you thinking?

Hi Douglas,
    I'm interested as well. Just tell me what book you're thinking of.
    Cheers,

Hi everyone,

I'm also interested. Just tell me what book, when and where. Cheers.

Book Club

Hi everyone,

Regarding the where, that's fairly easy: I was thinking of meeting at Cafe O in Sheung Wan on either Wed or Thursday night between 7-9 pm (depending on what works best for everyone).

Regarding the book to use, that is more difficult, as it depends on people's tastes and availability. I could make a list of choices, but that would take too long and none of the choices may be interesting to people.

If you are interested, why don't you tell me (a) whether you are open to meeting for an hour to have coffee and discuss; (b) what genre of books you would go for (i.e. fiction/non-fiction; serious literature/light reading, etc...)

Does that work?

Best,
    Doug

Just arrived in HK and am interested in joining. I prefer more literary writers (Coetzee, Nabokov, Roth, etc), some sci-fi, crime novels (eg. James Ellroy), but am open to all.

Hi Douglas and everybody,

I'm in for the meeting. Now, about the book, I think the best thing would be to start with something not that difficult. What do you guys think?

Sounds good!

I'd prefer Wed night (but not this week, sorry), and a little earlier, i.e. from 6:30pm please.
    As for the book, I'm not fussy. A suggestion is Lionel Shriver.
    There are loads more possibilities from: ReadingGroupGuides.com

Hi Everyone.

Thanks for your interest. I see we have a plurality of opinions and a complete consensus on a book may not be possible, but I do see a couple of people are more interested in the literary, which is my interest as well. For example, I am a very big fan of Coetzee and Nabokov.

Let's not worry about the book yet. Let's try to set up a time for everyone to join and discuss our preferences. I would suggest this Thursday at 7:00 at Cafe O in Sheung Wan. You can look up on internet if not sure.

By the way, please feel free to use my personal email,
    [email protected]. That way, I can put together a mailing list for interested parties.

Look forward to seeing you all.

interested in joining too, with preference towards the literary.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast