"Alternative" Locals and Expats

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

"Alternative" Locals and Expats

Hey there

Ok, so I know "alternative" isn't really the best term to describe goths, punks, metalheads, etc., but it sums them up and it sounds better than "Stare Magnet".

So for all of you alternative folks out there, what have your experiences in HK been like? Has it been easy befriending others like yourself? What about expressing yourself at work, school, or in public? Do you know of any clubs/pubs/bars or shops catering to our audience?

World domination, people!
    :bigparty !!

Quote Originally Posted by chilicheese:
    Hey there

Ok, so I know "alternative" isn't really the best term to describe goths, punks, metalheads, etc., but it sums them up and it sounds better than "Stare Magnet".

So for all of you alternative folks out there, what have your experiences in HK been like? Has it been easy befriending others like yourself? What about expressing yourself at work, school, or in public? Do you know of any clubs/pubs/bars or shops catering to our audience?

World domination, people!
    :bigparty !!
    Hmm..

I'm definately not a 'stare magnet' but I listen to alternative music and dress like a bit of an emo/scene kid. I've not had a problem since i got here. I miss going to a pub that plays the stuff I listen too, but they all sell beer, and after enough beer you don't really care what you're listening too (unless you're in LKF because its shocking!..no really, It is THAT bad!)

There are alternative/dark/grimey/underground/careful where you tread venues but i've not been to one yet because I haven't found one or had anyone to go with.

Shopping wise.. Depends what you're into.

I'm into baggy jeans, Baggy Shorts, Black t-shirts/band T's and baseball caps, sweat bands (don't judge me! )... Plenty of shops sell this kind of stuff.. especially the markets in Mong kok and Jordan, but also alot of Shops in Wanchai and CWB sell them as well.

if you're into chokers, goth chains, black leather trench coats and spikey things.. I would say your best bet is probably the Markets again, but I couldn't say for definate.

With regards to befrending people who are into the same.. if someone's willing to hold a conversation.. then i'll have a chat, doesn't matter what they look like. I don't know anyone here who is into the same type of music as me.. but if I did meet people who like the kinda noise I like.. that would be cool and even more reason to make an effort.

It's quite unlikely you'll get stared at over here for dressing differently.. unless you wear your pants on your head.. but then, even i'd stare and point and laugh at you.

If you fancy doing a meet and greet.. let me know where and when I'd come and say hi.. always good to meet people

Just for the record.. Hollywood Undead are awesome!
    Last edited by kenbo23; 27-07-2009 at 08:20 AM.

hi kenbo

Haha, thanks for warning me about the music in LKF, I always assumed they had a vast variety of pubs/bars playing different styles of music as HK is an international city.

I'll take a stab and say that you're male from your clothing tastes, how are you able to find stuff to wear? It seems that most of the retail shops out there are for chicks! (Not that anything is wrong with that, but I'd imagine it's tough for guys...)

I've always been more into gothy stuff, but I like to add a bit of colorful punk-ish stuff from time to time. There's a goth lolita shop in Argyle center that sells decent stuff, but that's all I can think of as far as clothing is concerned. Gala Center in Mong Kok has some pretty cool silver jewelry shops.

Now with meeting people, most of the people I've met have been pretty accepting of my tastes, and some have actually chased me around for a photo when I'm all dressed up lol.

music-wise, the only gigs on here are bands that sound exactly the same and there's one every 3 months or so. they get boring really quickly. it's the same bands with the same music and the same crowd.

clothes are hard to find. if they're cheap, then they've only got one size and one colour. if they've got variety it's crazy expensive. and most of the 'alt' clothes are mostly J-rock and lolita style.

in my experience, kids dressed 'alt' are boring. they do it because they want to be different but they don't want to be too different. these are the kids that pay $3000 for a pair of jeans from BauHaus because it looks cool but mum won't yell at them too much for looking like a bum.

few and far between there are a couple of really cool punk locals that you'll run into at a big gig, but overall there is no 'scene'. the "expat" scene is defined already, everyone knows or at least knows of each other.

Sweet Jesus - I was 'Alternative' in about '83. Can I join in?

Quote Originally Posted by muddykins:
    music-wise, the only gigs on here are bands that sound exactly the same and there's one every 3 months or so. they get boring really quickly. it's the same bands with the same music and the same crowd.

clothes are hard to find. if they're cheap, then they've only got one size and one colour. if they've got variety it's crazy expensive. and most of the 'alt' clothes are mostly J-rock and lolita style.

in my experience, kids dressed 'alt' are boring. they do it because they want to be different but they don't want to be too different. these are the kids that pay $3000 for a pair of jeans from BauHaus because it looks cool but mum won't yell at them too much for looking like a bum.

few and far between there are a couple of really cool punk locals that you'll run into at a big gig, but overall there is no 'scene'. the "expat" scene is defined already, everyone knows or at least knows of each other.
    And not to mention they tend to really mismatch clothing here. But hey, if someone likes a look, I don't see why it's wrong to dress that way(unless the "look" is the birthday look). The same could be said for us "alt" people, right?
    I agree that the music scene can get monotonous here, maybe we should petition bands like VNV Nation to play here. Now THAT would be a project lol.
    I have to disagree with you when you say that everyone knows or at least knows of each other regarding expats. I've lived here for coming up to 3 years and I don't know any expats or of the expat scene!

Quote Originally Posted by Load Toad:
    Sweet Jesus - I was 'Alternative' in about '83. Can I join in?
    Oh yes, please do.

Quote Originally Posted by muddykins:
    I really don't think that's true. Audiotraffic sounds completely different from this lot who were at the Fringe recently, for example.

One month at The Fringe alone seems to have at least a dozen different bands.
    Last edited by PDLM; 28-07-2009 at 02:05 AM.

^ but us punk kids have no money because we're hardcore and don't have jobs because we're sticking it to the man, how can we possibly afford to go to the fringe club? XD

Usually it's considered OK to stick it to the man be hardcore but still ask parents or grandparents for the readies.

Certainly was when I was 17.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast