Hiring Maids?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Would it matter if the person I hired was legal or not? What are the ramifications for paying someone under the table?

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    But is she legal? This is what the OP needs to worry about (or not, but just to know what she's getting into!)

Quote Originally Posted by dotgoner:
    Would it matter if the person I hired was legal or not? What are the ramifications for paying someone under the table?
    In theory - very heavy penalties (fine, prison, public flogging, castration)

In practice - highly unlikely to be caught and many people do it.

It is not a tax issue if that is what you are thinking but an immigration one.

Quote Originally Posted by dotgoner:
    You get fined and she gets deported I think. Others may know the details. It's quite common, but you might as well know the risks!

Running the risk that your very own work visa won't be extended, among others.

Just don't hire any one who has overstayed. ALWAYS ask to see their visa. Getting caught hiring an overstayer is big trouble for you as the employer and the girl. Immigration really put the boot in if they get a girl on two counts - working in breach and being over. You as the employer also face prosecution.

As long as the girl has not overstayed, even if she gets stopped in the street by Police or Immigration as long as she produces a valid ID the boys in blue tend to take no further action. They can't prove anything provided she is not working in a shop or restaurant. Heard about a few cases like that where the employer of the helper was using the girl as cheap labor in shops or restaurants. Automatic custodial sentences for both. Never heard about any girl or employer being prosecuted for part time work though.

If the OP lives alone I would recommend getting a part time helper. There are many helpers only too willing to earn extra money to supplement their meagre income.

Really don't see the point in hiring illegally.

There are plenty of part time helpers holding permanet HKID - just hire one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Really don't see the point in hiring illegally.

There are plenty of part time helpers holding permanet HKID - just hire one of them.
    If this is the case then why is the illegal part-time market so large? Is it language? Can't see there being plenty of permanent HKID holders working as maids. Lots of locals I can imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    If this is the case then why is the illegal part-time market so large? Is it language? Can't see there being plenty of permanent HKID holders working as maids. Lots of locals I can imagine.
    In my 6 years here I always managed to find HKID holder - ie local - without much issue. Speaking a bit of chinese helps.
    Posted via Mobile Device

i employ two local ladies to clean my playgroup centre everyday. wasn't that difficult to find them.

the local labour department has free service for finding part time domestic helpers.