Any Aussies in town? will consider poms too :D

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Now in HK and to be precise in Po Lam, I lived in many places around the world Kuwait, Jordan, Italy and of finally settled down in Australia which I call home right now

sure thing thanks mate ...am still working out this site though!

Now in HK and to be precise in Po Lam, I lived in many places around the world Kuwait, Jordan, Italy and of finally settled down in Australia which I call home right now

Beer sound great apology is no way cos i was not insulted with you mate .. so am still working out this site and once i find the time maybe i can send a group email to meet somewhere for a drink ... i am trying to run away from lkf but it seems that every sat am there grrr maybe soho they have nice places to eat and drink there ... i love soho

i think you totally took my remarks the wrong way. as i stated before, they were not meant as an insult. all we can know about you is what you choose to post. THAT is all we have to judge you on. if you choose NOT to disclose that you currently only have interaction with a few people and that you are looking to expand your circle of friends, that's one thing... to say, "i'm only interested in meeting aussies and brits" is completely different. THAT is how your post read. THAT is what we are remarking on.

believe it or not, there ARE people out there who ONLY want to associate with "their own kind"... THOSE are the people that shouldn't travel as far as i'm concerned.

I'll tell you what i am adding you guys all to my contact list and will get together for dinner /or drink and hopefully sort all this out ... lets start over okay but my mag was between things and short and was suppose to be more funny than anything else ... and carang calm down ... seriously the idea was to get a gathering of people to mix with my local friends and have a nice mix out there!

As for people who ONLY want to hang out with their own kind are you sure they are out there? in almost 2010? seriously the world is a small village now!

I realize that throughout the years we continuously see threads pop-up on the forum where posters seek company of their countrymen(women). In fact, several years ago I started a lighthearted thread seeking Vegan Zoroastrians from Liechtenstein (poking fun at this phenomena). However, the longer I spend in Hong Kong, and the more people I meet, the more I understand the desire to have friends which share your common background. That is not to say I don't value my numerous close and dear friends (from locals to....well lets just say international) whom I've been privileged to befriend while here.

Being an expat, we all go through cultural transformation and the longer we stay abroad the more we morph. Having said that, once in a while it is good to have friends to whom you can talk to without needing to explain every minor cultural reference, obscure film / sports reference, etc. I'm certain most of us feel that way....it's just part of a certain comfort zone. That does not mean that we don't like learning and participating on other cultures, but that on occasion we don't want to forget ours either. The problem is occasionally long time members (leveraging on their personal experiences) assume that just because people move to another country to live/work, means that they "HAVE TO" completely assimilate. While that may be a good choice for some, it's extremely biased to think that this should be a decision made by all. We cannot assume what reasons and motivations people have to move to a certain place, be it a career, a loved one, etc. As the old cliche saying goes "When you ASSUME you make an ASS out of ME and U." Saying things like "you should have stayed at home" its not productive and very condescending.

Over the past year, I've noticed an increased trend on Geoexpat to resort to PDLMic Forum Conduct (i.e. we resort to being smartass a-holes first and being helpful second). To be perfectly fair, I have to admit that often I'm very guilty of this myself.... However, I really hate seeing the wolfpack mentality that the group has developed here. People are getting teared to shreds before we even know the facts. C'mon guys, bring a little decency back to the forums and let the lone wolfs hunt for themselves.

Hi there Brisyboy,

Feel free to pm us, this is "the friendiest forum in town", apparently. We are Aussie's/Kiwi/Swiss interesting mix, imagine what the kid's look like?
    We enjoy great company, easy going and enjoy a laugh as well as a bit of intelligent conversation in the Rooftop " Beer & Bullshit Bar", in Sheung Wan. So if you need a little light relief from Hong Kong you are more than welcome to join us. But you need to pm for details. No cost but BYO. We would really like to meet you.

From "The Beer & Bullshit Bar", Sheung Wan.

Seriously, right I've said my piece. I've exchanged emails with Brisyboy7, and all is good there. You're going on about Lone Wolfs and stuff, enough said.

As Brisyboy7 said new beginnings and all that. All the bloke wanted was a beer, and through my stupidity have turned his link into some political debate.

My apologies once again, now let the man organise himself a beer outside of LKF!

oops... guess i've offended someone... thanks for the red blobs...

have fun brisyboy...glad you're making some friends on here.

Brisyboy - definitely get yourself to Soho, it's much better than LKF in my opinion! PM = private message - click on someone's name and there's a list of options, PM is one of them.

WCB - your original post was not bad at all in the grand scheme of things. Stop giving yourself a hard time about it.

Patrice - does the roof-top Beer and Bullshit bar really exist?? Or is it in fact your roof? Great name. Might rename my roof (also in Sheung Wan btw) the Sauvignon Blanc and Bullshit bar...altho doesn't have the same ring to it as yours...

(The friendliest forum in town??? Yeah right.)

Quote Originally Posted by Brisyboy7:
    Whats PM means guys?
    private message - a way of sending you a message on geoexpat without you having to give out your email or it appearing on posts. see the link on the side.