Looking forward to HK?

Closed Thread

Looking forward to HK?

Hi all,

Didn't think reading an expat forum from sydney would provide so much information on expat life. Anyway, i'm a HK born aussie with HK PR (so am i an expat?) and am thinking of heading to HK permanently for work Just want to get any opinions or feelings on lifestyle and assimilating with the local community, making friends etc.. From what i've read, it seems many are enjoying it here while others not so much.

Hi Lowster,

It depends what you are looking for. HK is great if you like being on the go all the time and don't mind high density living. The expat lifestyle is work hard, play hard. One thing also is that they stick together and look out for each other, because most of the time, family is miles away. The local population there though, you may not find as affectionate but they do compensate by the flavours that they feed you :P

I am originally from Perth, and I now live in Sydney. I lived in HK for a few years when I was a teen cause the folks moved over. I love the wide open space and the culture in Perth but I love the professionalism and nightlife that Sydney offers. Saying that, and with reference to high density living, I recently moved into a block of Meriton apartments just on the outskirts of the cbd, and I am already looking for a new place to move again to. I guess relative to the size and the pace of the city, apartment living just doesn't go down well with me here whereas in HK it is part of the excitement.

I'm in my mid twenties and definately plan on doing a stint in HK in the next couple of years.
    It's a fantastic playground and is one of the best gateways to what you plan to achieve.

Thanks for your thoughts Matchka.
    I'm also in my mid-twenties and resided in sydney most of my life. I think its time for a change and a stint in HK would be good. I like having my space and it will take time for me to adjust to the high density living and the crowds. But I'll give it a go.........

How're you Lowster? I'm Allen and I'm a Hongkonger. I studied in Sydney for some time and I met many nice aussies there, so I think it's time for me to return the favour. If you need any help or information about HK, pls feel free to contact me~ (I'm also in my mid-20~~~) [email protected]