Indian community in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

hey stutiz,

hows it goin'? i just moved to hk from west philly begining of jan. im indian too but i studied, lived and worked in phila over 10+ yrs.

just come on down here, its great! place is safe for women (so i am told) and its a friendly place. the one place i was willing to relocate to in asia was HK (apart from bombay). everyone speaks english unlike tokyo where i had to point at food.

the rents are expensive, agreed. i wont go to 4-5K, but my 750 sq ft pad in a place called taikoo (a little off downtown, but on the island) runs me 2K fully furnished. rest of the expenses are manageable.

indian scene ... not too sure. but hey, super opportunity to hang out with folks from other cultures. does not get any better

and mimi .... save ur money on that law suit. next time dont fly air india.

vick

Excellent advice!!!

and mimi .... save ur money on that law suit. next time dont fly air india.

vick

Believe it or not it that is the best advice, which has been given to you! Take it - don't ignore it!!!

rubina

Quote Originally Posted by Stutiz:
    I am moving frm USA and was wondering if there is any Indian scene here is it like the US and how can i connect with fellow indians
    Well depends on how you want to connect!!
    There are organizations for different communities like Sindhi's/Gujarathi/Rajashtani/Sikh etc.
    Then there's groups of proffessionals who are above all this!
    BTW probably you wouldn't need anything more than GeoExpat!!
    The temples celebrate all hindu festivals(if you are religious)!!

Rest assured that you're gonna have a gell of a time here!!

Yeah, I don't think I want anything to do with Air India or the country at the moment, I don't think you can sue them the same way as it is government owned. I am afraid if I start then my grandchildren will have to continue following up with the suite so I'll spare them all of that. Don't mean to offend anyone. I might just see a therapist and work through this trauma.

Air India is terrible. I had a business class ticket and they tried to bump me off the flight! An Indian minister and his entourage were headed to London for a conference. The minister's wife was also with him but she had an economy ticket and they gave her my SEAT! I made a stink and one of the minister's guys offered his biz seat to me!

You can sue them in Hong Kong... (and god I hate these digressions and thread hijacks). They're a commercial entity like anyother here and can be sued pretty easily.

Talking

i totally agree with you knowitall...so sure. thats exactly how i always differeniate all the indains/or south asians.

I myself fall in the last catergory of born/bred abroad (UK) which makes u a lil different compared to the tradional indains.

so the dude moving here from US...HK is beautiful, its safe, n the ppl are really nice. Im pretty sure u be fine..as with making friends with local indains im not sure...even though i have seen plenty around i dont know any.

sound like u had a aweful time mimi...sorry to hear that. i had similar experience with PIA which is pakistani airline...n will never ever go to that country or fly with them. U can sue them...maybe try to write to the head office and get some legal advice.

Goodluck

hi every body,
    Im new in HK.
    came from pakistan.
    can i join u guyz in this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by philly19104_us:
    the rents are expensive, agreed. i wont go to 4-5K, but my 750 sq ft pad in a place called taikoo (a little off downtown, but on the island) runs me 2K fully furnished. rest of the expenses are manageable.
    I thought for someone from US (large place geographically) Taikoo should be bang in the middle of downtown...no?