Hey people!

Closed Thread

Hey people!

Hey everyone, my name is Jason, and I thought I'll introduce myself on my first post in the forum.
    I'm Hong Kong born Canadian, and lived in Calgary most of my life. My family immigrated to Canada when I was 6 y.o. Then they decide to move back to HK when I was 12. My chinese suck so bad I ended up in a British international school. I lost my of my english and got my cantonese back. 4 years later, at 16, I went back to Canada, this time alone. Been there ever since 3 days ago, Jan 27, 2006 as I'm moved back for family reason.
    See most chinese I know in Canada generally fall into these groups:
    1)Born in Canada or moved to Canada at a very young age and just stays there: the true bananas! (Hope I didn't offend anyone)
    2)Come to Canada to study and leave right away after graduation.
    3)Moved to Canada at a later age (11+ yo?) which either:
    a) slowly becomes 1)
    b) still update themselves with chinese culture and trend who longs to go back and hangs around mostly other people like them. *I find this especially so in Vancouver*

Now me, I consider myself kind of unique yet messed up. My language is half & half, so are my ways of thinking, culture and sense of belonging.
    While in Canada, I visit HK once a year to visit my family for about 2 weeks, maybe longer if I can handle it, this is the first time since a decade that I'm living here and not as a visitor.

I'm not freaking out yet, still I realise I have a LOT and I mean LOTS to catch up and get use to. Everything is just....so foreign to me. But as my sister said, once I start working, meet new people and friends, I'll enjoy HK better, and learn to love it.

Phew, nothing like venting huh? Anyways, I just found this forum and I find it really helpful especially on where to shop and find english stuff. I left/sold most of my belongs in Canada as well...Air Canada will only allow me to bring 2 suitcases! Hope this site will widen my circle as well as it's pretty damn small! I'm sure there's others like me as well and would love to talk! On a bad side, I'm kinda geeky (degree in chemistry..go figure) so no hardcore party animal here.

That's a lot of typing...so later people, wish everyone great fortune and
    happy New Year!

hi jason,
    welcome. are you able to join us to go to ocean park tmr at 10:00am? all ppl in geoexpat are nice. don't worry, u will meet many friend here.
    PM me if you are interested to join, i will give you my cell phone.
    anyways, enjoy the CNY. we can have a drink someday
    cheer,
    nave

Welcome Jason, hope to have a drink with you when im back in HK

Add Oil~*

Jason.. once you "determined" to come back and settle down here, I guess you'd really like your sister said "learn to love HK", but of coz it takes some time.

Don't get frustrated, sure you'd be able to meet some people you feel similar with, rite here. Good luck.. and Welcome back

Cheers, Blom

Wah, Jason! since u wrote a whole book to introduce urself, I believe that u must kind of geeky, but on the other hand, u r so cute! Nice to meet u and welcome to HK, I joined this site 2 months ago, and I have met so many fabulous ppls! Let's hang out soon! see ya, good day!

hey again

Sorry Nate that I miss the invite. The next day after the post, I went with family to China (Zhu Hai) and Macau for a few days.
    You know what Phoenix? I was reading my post again, and boy do I sound terrible! Don't know what I was thinking!

Anyway, thanks for the reply peeps!

Have a good one!

doorchrasher, are you able to drop by tonite at Lux?
    i will be there. hope to see you there.