Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sat, June 10 (Midnight): Germany v. Costa Rica

18 26.87%
  • Sat, June 10 (9p.m.): England v. Paraguay

39 58.21%
  • Sun, June 11 (9p.m.): Netherlands v. Serbia

13 19.40%
  • Fri, June 16 (9p.m.): Argentina v. Serbia followed by Netherlands v. Ivory Coast

27 40.30%
  • Sat, June 17 (9p.m.): Portugal v. Iran followed by Czech v. Ghana

13 19.40%
  • Sun, June 18 (9p.m.): Japan v. Croatia

7 10.45%
  • Sat, June 24 (11p.m.): Double-header 4th Round

28 41.79%
  • Sun, June 25 (11p.m.): Double-header 4th Round

20 29.85%
  • Mon, June 26(11p.m.): Double-header 4th Round

17 25.37%
  • Tue, June 27 (11p.m.): Double-header 4th Round

17 25.37%
  • Fri, June 30 (11p.m.): Double-header Quarterfinals

29 43.28%
  • Sat, July 1 (11p.m.): Double-header Quarterfinals

32 47.76%
  • Mon, July 10 (2a.m.): The FINAL

41 61.19%
Multiple Choice Poll.

World Cup Outings

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

LOCATION of WORLD CUP OUTINGS

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding WHERE we should gather to watch the World Cup matches?

I will do a tour through LKF this week-end to evaluate the venues there; primary criteria are
    a.) MUST STAY OPEN UNTIL THE END OF THE MATCHES
    b.) MUST HOLD AT LEAST 25 PEOPLE
    c.) SCREEN SIZE IS REASONABLY LARGE AND VIEWING ANGLES ARE NOT TOO LIMITED
    d.) THERE ARE SEATING OPTIONS (iso standing room only)

My alternative choice is Skidz in Wanchai. Assuming the LKF bars are unable to confirm their opening hours during the World Cup in advance, I'd suggest to go with Skidz for the first few matches and then decide if we should switch to a place in Central for the second week etc.

HOWEVER, I don't want to keep switching places too often as it will get confusing. It should also be much easier to reserve tables when they get used to seeing a Geoexpat group every night ...

Bulldog's meets all your criteria and has the area with the balcony overlooking D'Aguilar St which can be reserved for private parties. There is also the room at the back of the Hong Kong Brew House which has a big screen and which you can hire for private parties - holds about 30 (seated round tables) I think.

No bar in LKF wth a sports screen is going to shut during the World Cup before the games end...

Texas: Might have a couple of interesting choices by next week... Will drop you a note when I have something on the table.

Personally, I'm not too keen on Bulldogs. It can get pretty claustrophobic and they're pricey... not a "value for money" place in my books.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    Personally, I'm not too keen on Bulldogs. It can get pretty claustrophobic and they're pricey... not a "value for money" place in my books.
    Well the house beer is $40 per pint normal hours, $30 per pint HH. http://www.bulldogsbarandgrill.com/menus.php?seek=beer
    Is that pricey?

Granted the food isn't the cheapest, but the portions are large - you never need more than one dish.

Thought Fosters was more expensive when I abandoned that bar ... might would not have complained if it was $40. But then a pint of Stella is $25 in Dolce Vita and an Edinger is cheaper in Schnubarrts. Yeah, I'm a cheap arse when it comes to some places...

Anyways, strike three was when the morons kept telling me I could not get a discount on non alcoholic drinks on their priviledge card.

Just a personal preference on my end....

Back to the main topic ....

Went to Bulldog's for the FA Cup Final last week-end and my main complaints are that tables are reserved for customers, who order food and that it is a very popular place and thus, got quite crowded.

Re: reserving a private room; this may be possible on some nights but not all because we may not have enough people on a consistent basis. Also, I don't want to pay a deposit in advance. In other words, looking for a roomy bar where we can 'just show up'. Perhaps reserve a table or two but nothing that locks us in to a high number of attendees.

Oh OK. So you want a roomy bar, that's showing the World Cup, that has good food and beer, that is cheap, that is in LKF or SoHo, but that very few people go to...

Hmmmmm. Good luck with that!

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Oh OK. So you want a roomy bar, that's showing the World Cup, that has good food and beer, that is cheap, that is in LKF or SoHo, but that very few people go to...

Hmmmmm. Good luck with that!
    I didn't say good food and beer at cheap prices ... however, I would like to make sure that the group of geoexpats can enjoy the matches without everyone having to stand throughout. I don't think that's unreasonable.
    Last edited by texasaxel; 19-05-2006 at 03:44 PM.

>> Hmmmmm. Good luck with that!

Who needs luck when you can book a whole place for 30-40 people?

Or even a 100+ for the finals.

Oh yee of little faith.

my 2 pence worth

Hi Texasaxel

I hope you find a good venue for these outings, thanks for going through the effort to look.
    I can imagine most bars with a big screen will be packed, so might have to book in advance.
    Let us know where you decide to watch the matches and I'll attend a few.

Last edited by RN17972; 19-05-2006 at 06:08 PM.