Bar work as an expat? what are the chances?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bar work as an expat? what are the chances?

I am an Australian moving to HK at the end of the month with a Working Holiday Visa.

I am interested in getting work in a bar in hong kong. I cannot however, speak any chinese. Are there positions available for expats to work in bars? Are they readily available?

I have not worked in a bar before, but I have been working as 2nd in charge at a liquor store here in Australia for 3 years, and I hold a 'Responsible Service of Alcohol' certificate, which I imagine is of some advantage.

Also, what are the wages/tips like? I am not really concerned, I am really just looking for something to fill in a bit of time, and to make a bit of money. But it would be interesting to know.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Getting work shouldn't be a problem - there are plenty of bars which function essentially in English. Non-Chinese-speaking Gwailo bar managers are common - barmen less so, but not unknown.

In general people don't tip in bars here (or at least only a few coins, not to American standards). Bars do add 10% service charges, but I'm not sure how much, if any, of that goes to the people doing the serving.

Wages are I think in the HK$5-8K/month range for basic bar/wait staff, depending on how many hours you do.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

So tell me what exactly is this Working Holiday Visa.?

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

that was quick

wow all my questions regarding the visa have been answered. Not a bad gig if you can get it.
    Just wave your visa in front of the prospective employer and you should be in-just remember to leave in 3 months.

i am pretty sure the 10% service charge does not go to the waiter. but i think they get better paid than just $5000 a month. i would say around $9000 -$12000 for a full time.

lapin, never ever.... 5,000 to 8,000 (max.).

Having said that .. if you have a working holiday visa, try your luck as a management trainee or something slightly higher up on the food chain.

Some of the larger groups like Igors, ElGrande etc are always on the lookout for good talent.

Indeed - I was quite surprised to see a gwailo start working behind the counter in the IFC Pacific Coffee a couple of months ago... (albeiut in the uniform of a supervisor)

The 10% service charge goes to the company who owns the bar/restaurant, most waitstaff make around7-8000 per month. depending on experience. Gwailo managers are fairly common, (I'm one) Like most other jobs in this place it helps if you know a few people to get in. Tips, depending on how the company is run, they are on a points basis and given out at the end of the month. Or they aredivided up at the end of the night.
    How long is your visa for?

PDLM..that guy looks Eurasian to me. He might well be 1/2 Chinese. Was just at PCC in IFC and I saw him there..

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast