TEFL in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Which online tefl did you take? did you find it useful?

QUOTE=jimbo]Yes you get theory and also exercises and lesson planning which you need to complete to pass.

You do get a DVD as well showing a lesson in action which you need to observe etc as part of the module.

I have 17 years customer service coaching experience so the observation wasn't really necessary for me.[/QUOTE]

I used a company called i to i and yes it was very useful. especially the lesson planning part of it.

You can do the TESOL in HK - check out www.englishforasia.com
    Give them a ring, the next course should be over the summer

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    I used a company called i to i and yes it was very useful. especially the lesson planning part of it.

I did the weekend course with i-to-i. I take it you did the 60 hours online course?

Quote Originally Posted by ksrnf:
    I did the weekend course with i-to-i. I take it you did the 60 hours online course?
    I was lazy and did the 40 hour course!

Could anyone guide me on a reputed Institute wherein I could complete a TEFL/TESOL certification. I am keen on teaching English language in HongKong.
    I believe that there are certain issue about having English being the native language. I am from India and English is more widely spoken in our country than any other language. Would it still be a problem?

In case it is, would it be better to apply to schools or language centres for jobs?

If you would like to study for your qualification in Hong Kong then there really is only one recommendation : the Trinity Cert TESOL course at English for Asia. It is not cheap, however the qualification is the most widely accepted EFL teaching certificate available in Hong Kong.

In terms of getting accepted to the course, English does not have to be your native language, however you (fairly obviously) have to be highly proficient in it.

In terms of getting a job, factors such as accent and skin colour can affect your chances. I am not in a position to say whether you are more likely to succeed with applications to schools or to language centres, however I can't see the harm in applying to both.

Quote Originally Posted by ishaaditidhar:
    I am from India and English is more widely spoken in our country than any other language. Would it still be a problem?

In case it is, would it be better to apply to schools or language centres for jobs?
    As much of a problem as you think it would be for white folks teaching say, Cantonese, in India. Or a German trying to break into the French teaching market in the UK. Of course it is more difficult, especially if your accent is not distinctly British/American.