Dependants Free to Work in HK

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

It is not foresight .. it is more like hindsight. They're just correcting a mistake from 2003.

I agree with you. A lot of options have opened up for small businesses like ours, who need expat staff.. but don't want to or are not able to go through the visa process.

Got my visa changed

Went to the Immigration office and filled out form ID980, submitted it along with my passport and id card. Got a new visa which says 'previous restriction cancelled' within 40 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by edwardsinhk:
    Went to the Immigration office and filled out form ID980, submitted it along with my passport and id card. Got a new visa which says 'previous restriction cancelled' within 40 minutes.
    No body mention any money, is it free ?

Have to prepare the cash as they don't take VISA and I usually NEVER have enough cash on me

Was planning to go today but dear husband just called me to tell me he has my wallet I'm going to think that he wants to keep me prisoner at home !

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvieng:
    No body mention any money, is it free ?

Have to prepare the cash as they don't take VISA and I usually NEVER have enough cash on me
    Yes, it's free, as the original News Release said.

And by the way, I believe they do take EPS so you wouldn't need cash even if it wasn't free.

Sorry I didn't mention it but yes it was free!

Was just wondering if some dependent/trailing spouse can share his/her experience after this change in policy...someone who has NOW been able to find work after removal of the restrictions?

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    It is not foresight .. it is more like hindsight. They're just correcting a mistake from 2003.

I agree with you. A lot of options have opened up for small businesses like ours, who need expat staff.. but don't want to or are not able to go through the visa process.
    Arh... that's right. Then again, the govt should've done loads of stuff a long time ago... haha! Such a reactive body, rather than proactive to seek and improve.

Hey KnowItAll, just wondering, any chance to set up a forum or exchange on geoexpat, where small biz like ours can have a platform to find suitable staff / biz partners etc. with this new influx of expat dependents now able to work here? I know you guys state that no jobs ads or commercial stuff should appear on here, just wondering if this new change of ruling may warrant a new view from you guys, and a possible forum specifically for expat dependants looking for part time full time work. Also, just curious how small biz, with little ad budget, can find suitable channels to look for such staff or biz partners. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks heaps.

My dependants visa is currently being processed. Will it be processed with no work restrictions or will they put restrictions on it that I will then need to have lifted. It all sounds too good to be true..

I would be very surprised if it wasn't without restriction.

Should be OK

Hi Erin,

My dependant visa is currently in process too, but I have asked before to the immigration that dependants are allowed to seek work in HK, hence I am job seeking now.