PR work in Hong Kong

Closed Thread

PR work in Hong Kong

Hi,

I am a 23 year old Australian and I am moving to Hong Kong in a few weeks with my boyfriend.

I have a university degree in Journalism and more than two years work experience in public relations. Most of the PR jobs I have seen online require Cantonese speaking candidates which is not so promising for me.

Can anyone with knowledge of the PR industry in Hong Kong tell me what my chances are of getting a job and the best way to go about it?

Cheers

On what basis are you coming here? You don't have any right to reside here unless you get a visa, so probably the best for you might be to get a Working Holiday Visa which enables you to live and work here for 12 months taking jobs for up to 3 months at a time ( http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkvisas_10.htm ).

With luck this should get you some "ins" to people in the PR business. There certainly are plenty of people in PR in Hong Kong who don't speak Cantonese - working both for big companies (Edelman, Ogilvy, etc. etc.) and small, even as freelancers. The cPRF ( http://www.cprfhk.org/ ) would be a good place to start.

Thanks for your advice. That website is really useful.

PR work in Hong Kong

Hi, I am in pretty much the same position. I moved over here with my partner giving up a position back home in Public Relations and broadcasting. I arrived here in February and taught English to get a working visa and really suss out the market. I have met some really helpful people at Chamber events, and everyone basically has the same message: concentrate more on the networking rather than the newspaper applications. I am going along to networking events, and am keen to hear of any taking place. So I'll post up and coming ones so you can check them out. If anyone knows of any useful events please let me know too. Cheers.