physio trouble

Closed Thread

Unhappy physio trouble

hi all,
    im a physio from india and have just moved into hk with my husband. I have tried to get myself registered with the Hong Kong physiotherapy association but was asked to give a written as well as practical exam next year on account of "inadequate knowledge". Its kinda wierd coz my graduate course from India has a duration of 4.5 yeasr compared to teh 3 year graaduate course offered by hk polytechnic uni here. Also they seem to have clearly ignored my post graduate qualification from New Zealand. This means ill be out of work for almost 2 years...not very impressive on a cv.....I am actually contemplating going to Singapore to work. Has anyone had similar difficulties...or has given this exam? If so ur experience might be helpful....Also are there any physios from India working here who have faced similar problems? Also how important is it to know cantonese? I am currently taking classes for cantonese...but the language is tough...I doubt if I'll be able to speak fluently!!!!

Last edited by visha; 16-05-2006 at 12:40 PM.

http://www.mchk.org.hk/Revised_Guidelines.doc

Seems like you might have to ask for a review.

A fair bit may depend on the institution in India... but one would logically think that an NZ degree might be recognised ...

Keep in mind that the medical council is still a bit of an old boys network (like most prof bodies in any part of the world) and it might help if you can get to one of the folks in the appropriate committee for an individual "looking for guidance" chat .

Also might help if you go through their list of registered doctors and look for ones with Indian names ... talk to them.

a review does sound like a good idea....also i might try and get my syllabus copies from india in order for them to compare the stuff i learnt back home with their syllabus...that might help..its worth a shot newez!!! i did go thru the list of registered physios in hk....and i did find 3 indian physios on the list.....unfortunately they all seem to have graduated from us, uk and australia respectively...so no luck there....however still wondering if any expats from other contries have had to give exams...needsome guidance on the exam as well.....meanwhile ill try and get them to review their decision again...

The syllabus does not mean much .. I know how corrupted the Indian system is.

There are a few Indian GPs on the list. Why not try them?

hey ....cut the Indian institutions some slack!!! After having studied in New Zealand I don't have a very high opinion of any syllabus in any part of the world!! he he! will try to contact some indian doctors....but u know a physio would be better to talk to any day...also its kinda spooky that there arent any physios from india working here..unless im mistaken about that...there are physios from other parts of the world working here...whats deterring the indian physios i wonder....

another tiny liitle query are any physios aware of the passing rate of the licensing exam....he he...just wanna be prepeared!!!

Dear Visha,
    I am also new in Hong Kong and i studied my physiotherapy in Latinoamerica and Master degree in France and the association here said NO to registrated me, so, same case as yours. So, i would like to know what happened at the end with your story? Thank you for your information.