Setting up a business as a sole-proprietor

Closed Thread

Setting up a business as a sole-proprietor

After 9.5 years on/off in Hong Kong, and 3 English teaching positions, I've decided I want to be a self employed English tutor - mainly teaching secondary students and adults.

I've been told it's relatively straightforward to set up a business in HK as private English tutor, and then to get a working visa through that business.

However, I've never done anything like this and now that I've started reading through the various .gov websites, the whole process seems quite complicated and very chicken and egg. If I understand it correctly, I would have to start my company before I can find out whether I'm allowed to work for it!

Can anyone recommend any websites or books to help me work my way though this? Does anyone have any experience setting up as a sole-proprietor?

Thanks for any advice.

The setting up a sole-proprietor business bit is easy. But I don't know of anyone who has ever succeeded in getting an Employment Visa (or Investment Visa) as a Sole Proprietor.

Have you considered the QMAS scheme?

Last edited by PDLM; 11-06-2010 at 09:36 PM.

you will NOT get a visa to be a private tutor. you will not be employing any locals. you, most likely, will not be renting office space. you will not be contributing enough to the HK economy... this is what immigration will say....

you MAY have more chance with a LTD company. but even then, it is not guaranteed.

After 9.5 years on/off in Hong Kong

You didnt have continous stay in HK for this period in order to get PR?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    The setting up a sole-proprietor business bit is easy. But I don't know of anyone who has ever succeeded in getting an Employment Visa (or Investment Visa) as a Sole Proprietor.

Have you considered the QMAS scheme?
    I did find it hard to believe it could be that straightforward...

I've had a quick scan of the QMAS and it looks promising, so I'll investigate some more.

Edit: tragically my parents choose to return to the UK after we'd been here 6.5 years, so the clock has been reset

Thanks very much.
    Last edited by jenifa; 11-06-2010 at 09:55 PM.

How did you manage to stay here for 9.5 years without a proper work visa?

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    How did you manage to stay here for 9.5 years without a proper work visa?
    7.5 years on dependent visas
    2 years on a work visa

But I want to be self-employed, so I need to find a way to get my own work visa.

You said 7.5 years on dependent visas, but earlier was 6.5. Which one is it?
    Posted via Mobile Device

No - she said that she has 6.5 years on a Dependant Visa when she first lived in Hong Kong. During her second stint she has had 1 year on a Dependant Visa followed by 2 years on an Employment Visa.

How long did you stay in the UK before moving back to HK again?