Like Tree2Likes

Hello, I am in need of some "simple" advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Since you can speak Japanese, like Beanieskis said, your best bet is trying to apply a job that requires speaking Japanese. Somehow, your inability to speak Cantonese may narrow your search considerably as this is something almost a basic requirements but would not write in the ads.

Well, I'm not even officially working....these guys are not paying me a cent. I haven't signed a contract. I'm just an "intern". And no way in hell am I going to sign a contract because that's for sure illegal.

Well, speaking cantonese...i'm sure I can learn it pretty fast. But can the majority of you guys speak cantonese as well?

Many foreigners teach or do other work illegally, in the mainland. A large contingent of Nigerians in Guangzhou seem to have no visas of any kind at all. More common by far, though, is for westerners to work on tourist visas and do monthly visa runs.

I could never really understand this, as any even vaguely reputable company should have no problem securing work visas. There are even companies out there on Google which help foreigners to convert their tourist visas to work visas and residents permits.

While I am not recommending that you engage in dodgy visa transfers of dubious legality, since it seems you are already illegal you might want to consider the relative merits of a back-hander to an official to get yourself a proper 'legal' status in the mainland.

Last edited by M Khan; 18-06-2010 at 05:17 PM.

Do you mean re-attaining my Chinese citizenship?

If that's the case then it should be pretty easy since all my relatives are Chinese citizens.......

It's just if I'm a Chinese citizen going to HK (or any other big city not in China) for work would be much harder.

Use your university networks - find out who you know who works in a company that has a HK presence and talk to them. Find out if they have any jobs in HK that would suit you and then get them to introduce you to the right manager. It's all about networking, contacts and legwork. Just sending out CV's is fine if you have a visa, but for this, you need something 'extra'.

no, it wouldn't be harder, you would still be canadian.

what he is saying is that you should GET A PROPER WORKING VISA for china...

Go gophers!

Have you taken the Japanese language proficiency exam? Most HK university grads who work at Japanese companies (and use Japanese at work) pass level 1, and they are quite fluent. Frankly, the Japanese language abilities of HK uni grads (at least from HKU), both written and spoken, are much higher than their American counterparts. It's impressive--I've seen HK uni students speak comfortably, switching from Cantonese, English, Japanese, and Putonghua in a thirty-minute interview.

Does UofM have an alumni association here? You might want to contact the Alumni office or the Career Development Office in the Twin Cities, and see if you can get introductions to alumni in the area.

Good luck!

[QUOTE=Friedokra;797791]Go gophers!

Have you taken the Japanese language proficiency exam? Most HK university grads who work at Japanese companies (and use Japanese at work) pass level 1, and they are quite fluent. Frankly, the Japanese language abilities of HK uni grads (at least from HKU), both written and spoken, are much higher than their American counterparts. It's impressive--I've seen HK uni students speak comfortably, switching from Cantonese, English, Japanese, and Putonghua in a thirty-minute interview.

Very interesting indeed.

Go gophers minions!

I suggest you look into this so called internship in China and tell them you have good reasons for moving to Hong Kong, as in, you've found a girl or something, pushing them to express their desire in keeping you. Further you can tell them that you could help the main office in HK with american and japanese ties, general research and sales.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2