Negotiating pointers....trying to do this properly.

Smile Negotiating pointers....trying to do this properly.

Wish list

I am currently working on negotiating a deal for my first international job and I was hoping to get some feedback from the masses.

I am a 33 year old, American architect trying to strike a deal with a Hong Kong based architecture firm to work on a job in Singapore.

I have 10 years of applicable project experience and I recently graduated with a Masters of Business Administration degree from an American University.

I am applying for a project design/management position that could easily lead to a strategic position & spending 10 years with the organization.

During my interview, we spoke a bit about money. It was made clear that the company paid straight salary packages.

I told him I was felt I was worth six figures in US dollars (approx. HKD 780,000) but would be willing to negotiate based upon perks. I told him to make me an offer and we could go from there. (Mistake #1?)

I am attempting to put together the list of negotiating points and I would like some feedback. I dont want to put anything on the list that sounds to pie in the sky. This is the first time I have seriously negotiated for a management compensation package.

This is the list I came up with:

- Trips to the US for both the AIA convention and Autodesk University, in the interest of scouting oncoming trends on the cutting edge of architectural practice and technology

- American Institute of Architects membership dues

- Windows compatible PDA/Mobile phone

- Laptop computer capable of running all necessary design software. (DELL M70 or better)

- All Visa and Work Permit related Legal fees to be covered by the firm.

- First class fare for all business related air travel

I dont know what is appropriate in regards to vacation time. In the USA, vacation time is scarce and though the firm is managed by Brits, I have no idea how it is treated in professional positions over seas.

Also should things like raise/bonus schedule and performance review methodology be discussed in this conversation?

Any feedback or tips on how to handle my situation would be greatly appreciated.

p

>> - First class fare for all business related air travel

Not going to happen. Not with a $100K package. Perhaps you meant business class (which is what US based airlines would call First Class). This might also not happen ... a company is not going to change its travel policies for you.

Here's the deal from my viewpoint, unless you're a celebrity, not many companies in HK are going to bend over backwards for a primadonna (which is what demands like mobile phones and first class fares start to sound like).

Don't get discouraged when I say this, architects are a not exactly in short supply here. So, base your demands around your desire to get some Asian experience into your resume v/s being pampered.

--
    - Windows compatible PDA/Mobile phone
    - Laptop computer capable of running all necessary design software. (DELL M70 or better)
    - All Visa and Work Permit related Legal fees to be covered by the firm.
    --

think its abit petti to be negotiating for such things.
    pda = 300usd ?
    visa fees are generally handled by company
    laptop computer if for work u shld be able to get them to provide you one when u start. if they aren't then don't bring one along for your biz trip.