HELP!!! Have been offered a job, need advice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I don't know why you don't take a chance to have another life and work experience, which may help your personal development and enrich your life, that will be invaluable too. $40K is not a bad salary provided that you don't choose to live on Island side. In fact, I see no point for you to live in the Island side but work in Tsuen Wan. Hong Kong is a very small place, and you can commute to many places conveniently.

Thanks guys...INVALUABLE advice that had just made me realise that it really is NOT WORTH the big move. Most of you said 40K is great, excellent, more than enough ra ra... But NOT really enough to get rich and justify my move from Australia. I agree, it seems that the Midlevels is the only place to live; I agree that they should pay me 60K+ and that they are getting me pretty cheaply to run a very sensitive operation. I guess there's always the barganing for more if they desperately want me...but how much more would they offer ? 5K? Not more. Here in Australia, I get less money at the end of the day, but Sydney is not that bad either + I get better travel benefits and seniority with my current employer, Qantas and there is the space factor - I live in a spacious townhouse, 2 balconies, views.. for the equivalent of HK$9800 per month. One of you guys said min HK$14K for decent studio in Midlevels!? I see that there are lost of tax implications and ways of reducing - but would it make a huge difference? I doubt it reading from other people's experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Alec F:
    Thanks guys...INVALUABLE advice that had just made me realise that it really is NOT WORTH the big move. Most of you said 40K is great, excellent, more than enough ra ra... But NOT really enough to get rich and justify my move from Australia. I agree, it seems that the Midlevels is the only place to live; I agree that they should pay me 60K+ and that they are getting me pretty cheaply to run a very sensitive operation. I guess there's always the barganing for more if they desperately want me...but how much more would they offer ? 5K? Not more. Here in Australia, I get less money at the end of the day, but Sydney is not that bad either + I get better travel benefits and seniority with my current employer, Qantas and there is the space factor - I live in a spacious townhouse, 2 balconies, views.. for the equivalent of HK$9800 per month. One of you guys said min HK$14K for decent studio in Midlevels!? I see that there are lost of tax implications and ways of reducing - but would it make a huge difference? I doubt it reading from other people's experiences.
    if you like your life in Australia and they want you to leave it behind then they should offer you a good incentive, from the look of they won't and want to get you cheap. I think you've probably made the right decision, good luck

Mat

Don't be an Ass !!!! 40 K is far from Bad + YOU DO NOT HAVE TO LIVE IN MID LEVELS...HK is big enough to find a lot of other options .............I know of friends who pay 25.000 HKD for pretty much the same size as my flat just cos it is in Mid Levels....(not saying Mid levels is bad, just saying there are so many others area) ...
    Now if you wan to get richm I suggest you don't come to HKm you quite ur job in Australi and you play Mark 6

Guts Feeling

I see you are not feeling fully comfortable with the offer. I suggest you listen to your guts feeling and dont focus too much on the remuneration only. There will be a lot of other things besides the (very very) long working hours you will have to fac. You will probabliy have a team of local ppl - and heading a team of locals is very different from what our western mentality would consider as appropriate or good. Despite all this you will have to adjust to the local culture - this is not only a change of jobs, its also also different surrounding, style of living etc. If you are not eager to get into this, I suggest to look for an opportunity in AU to get the gold rushin'. 40 is good for a local, moderate for an expat contract. HK is not a cheap place to life for expats, unless you have access to the places, connections (important!) and language-barrier-protected things, that are usually for the locals only (you defintitly will have to life on local food only ).

Just to sum up: in case of doubt, listen to your guts

let's put it this way, if u are thinking of getting rich in the future, then grabbing such an oppt is definitely one way towards it, even if the initial deal was bad.

if u want an enjoyable and relax life, then forget about coming to hk..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2