Big 4 experiences...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

A slightly different question

Hi all,

I'm starting work with a Big 4 company in July, but I'll be working in the marketing department.

Does anyone have any input on what it might be like? The manager is from Singapore and my interview was conducted in English. I speak Cantonese but I have never done so at a business level before. Do you think daily business in this area of work would be carried out in Cantonese mostly as well, or otherwise? Also, what about the working hours? How much is the marketing department affected by peak/low seasons in audit, tax, advisory, etc.

Thanks in advance!

My experience is from a Big 4 from 3 years ago but I think its still relevant now.

First, internal transfers to HK seem to happen a lot. But people don't last. We got a guy from Sweden and I think he quit 2 months later... If you come from North America, audit jobs are assigned about 1/2 the people and about 1/2 the time. So you work a lot harder, faster, and longer hours.

The only transfer that last are usually Asian and know what they are getting into. They still don't like working in HK but they can manage.

As for interviews, I tend to find they like to use the disinterested, sell me on your ability approach. The stay very quiet and looked pissed off and you have to do your best to make conversation and not get annoyed by the disrespectful attitude.

One other thing is if you get a job, you want to stay away from specializing in China jobs. They have the worst hours, most boring work, and worst managers. You'll get plenty of chances to work with China people or go up to China if you want anyways. But if you start there, you'll never get out...

quick question.... whats a big 4????????????

Quote Originally Posted by wai_j:
    quick question.... whats a big 4????????????
    Deloitte and Touche, Ernst and Young and Price Waterhouse and KPMG.

These are your big 4 global accounting/auditing firms.

hi all, I am in my final year studying economics in the uk. I am thinking of applying to the big 4 and commerical banks this month.

My questions are as follows
    Should I apply to the Big 4 UK or the ones in HOng KOng? apparently the work life balance, pay and the experience is much better in the uk, isnt it?

On the other hand, I am thinking of applying to the graduate programs of the commerical banks in Hong Kong, eg Hang Seng, HSBC etc. Are there any more options other than applying to the graduate programs?

Thanks for your help