Big 4 experiences...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Big 4 experiences...

Hi Everyone,

I would like everyone's opinion or personal experiences on what it is like working for a big 4 in HK.
    - Culture
    - English v Cantonese v Mandarin
    - Job prospects in HK
    - Expected salary

I'm currently contemplating a move to HK from Australia, i have been working for about 5 years in a big 4 firm and would like to continue even if i moved to HK.

Is there anyone that works in a big 4, i'd really like to trade experiences etc. Thanks

Ooh interesting.

I'm ex big 4 in u.k and put it this way they pay you peanuts over here unless you get a transfer from your current company.

They expect you to have some decent knowledge of cantonese as not all there staff 'speak english' this is what a senior HR person of a big 4 told me at interview stage.

Working culture. Well if working 60 hours a week plus floats your boat then sure go for it.

i worked for a big4 in HK for one year, like 8 years ago, personally, it was not my cup of tea. I have never again worked in an accounting/audit job.

Quote Originally Posted by mustlovecats:
    i worked for a big4 in HK for one year, like 8 years ago, personally, it was not my cup of tea. I have never again worked in an accounting/audit job.

Hehe yep I don't think I'd ever go back to big 4 either.

I would say it all depends at which level. In most countries working for a big 4 at an entry level position isn't a great job (you supposedly learn a lot but pay isn't great for the number of hours you put in). The cantonese requirement is more due to the fact that for entry level position you most of the time face client's employees taht do not necessarly speak english. At higher level the cantonese ins't always required. )

I heard from my friend working in big 4 that you will have a good prospect if you can go through the first 5 years from the entry level. For you, since you have got 5 years of working experience in big 4 in Australia, it would play safe for you to request for a transfer to HK. Then the package should not be bad. Also, be prepared yourself to go to China quite often because most of the clients are in China now.

Quote Originally Posted by greentea:
    . Also, be prepared yourself to go to China quite often because most of the clients are in China now.
    This is very true.

it depends what you do within big 4. audit work you to a dog, crazy hours everynight - past midnight during peak. pay to start off is crap, and holidays are just average, though OT transfers to holiday time, which kinda makes up for it, though you gotta work around peak / jobs to take holiday.

the pay rise for first few years jumps 20% + each year on average, which i think is better tahn most jobs.

oh, and canto is the main language, which sucks a lot and the written test requirement at interview stage is pointless, cos the english that is used for written communication is copy/paste job anyway.

if you're already working in big 4 overseas, is it possible for internal transfer?

Thanks Everyone for your informative replies, and please keep them coming.

Currently, a transfer is not really on the cards... does that mean that my salary will suffer??

In terms of working hours.. i expect that work life in HK will be a little bit work than play. Although i've got to say that it has never been 9-5 in Australia personally...

Does anyone what skills sets (audit, tax, consulting) are HK big 4 firms after?? Can all skills be "transferred" from Aust to HK?? Or will there be a steep learning curve?

Are there any HR contacts on Geoexpat?? Thanks

Go to each of the big 4's websites and you'll see the jobs advertised which will give you an idea of exactly what they are after. They all seem to constantly be hiring at senior associate, mgr levels across the board: audit, tax, transaction services etc. Then do a bit of introspection to nail what it is you're after and your area of expertise and how you can sell your skills in to them.

Spend some time on each company's website, look at your company's intranet, get a subscripition to the SCMP, look at HK google news daily etc. Do what ever you have to do get the names of partners in the area you want to work and get in touch with them.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast