Yet another Talent Scheme

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hi bugs585. I don't think you need another work visa. I think the whole idea of the scheme is that you already have a visa that allows you to start work in HK immediately and, as long as you keep the job, you are allowed to stay.

I tend to agree with Asian1 that they will not get that many people that meet their demands. I mean, if you are already a senior (and presumably successful) member of a company, why would you apply? It would probably be easier to just set up a business in HK, which I heard isn't too difficult.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what happens after the first quarterly review.

Well I'm stuffed on the good character bit anyway!

This scheme rules me out as I don't have a degree but over ten years of good experience instead.

Why do companies always insist on you having a degree over here?

Quote Originally Posted by **:
    >> I tend to agree with Asian1 that they will not get that many people that meet their demands.

My sixth sense tells me the opposite.. Unless they use discretionary power to restrict, the quota should be full within 6 months..
    HK isn't a destination where professionals that are strongly career focused are clambering to get to. For a lot of them it'd be nice to get HK under their belts but they sure as hell aren't going to work their guts out or bend over backwards for the end result of landing in HK. There are other locations that add more value to their career.

HK already had a mainland professional migrant scheme similar to the QMAS, the take up of which was very poor. If I remember reading correctly each year they were lucky to fill 40% of the quota. When the QMAS was launched in February this was sighted in the press as a sign of HK's inability to put together an attractive talent scheme to attract professionals and that the QMAS provisions do nothing to redress that. I'm here in HK looking for work in a field that's important to HK and I pass the requirements with flying colors. Yet I'm not enamoured by the QMAS and won't bother applying. It won't do didley squat for my employment chances until HK employers become smarter by displaying more entreprenuerial/commercial/common sense/pragmatic foresight in their hiring practices.

So it remains to be seen whether the QMAS quota will be filled. I highly doubt it will. I did, however, read something on the govt news website on 1 July that the legislators are already patting each others' backs for a job well done, more than 200 phone calls a day and already 1 application from overseas. So that should cover all the people waiting the last 4 1/2 months for a straight forward piece of legislation ripped off other legisltaion to be passed. . Keep it up boys and girls at this rate you'll get 73,000 phone calls.

hi all..

i have called immigration just now..
    and they said even after u get the right to stay in hk through the quality scheme.. u still have to apply for work visa once u get a job here.. but that will be much more easier since those who successfully apply the scheme are mostly professional..

can't beleive u still need work permit after having this visa.....bit useless then

It's just one of those 'Look, were doing something' pieces of legislation.

I suspect they will not get one successful applicant. Anyone who could qualify would be easily able to find an employer in HK and get their work permit through them.

Quote Originally Posted by nation:
    So it remains to be seen whether the QMAS quota will be filled. I highly doubt it will. I did, however, read something on the govt news website on 1 July that the legislators are already patting each others' backs for a job well done, more than 200 phone calls a day and already 1 application from overseas. So that should cover all the people waiting the last 4 1/2 months for a straight forward piece of legislation ripped off other legisltaion to be passed. . Keep it up boys and girls at this rate you'll get 73,000 phone calls.
    Looks like the QMAS hasn't been the roaring success ImmD thought it would be :

http://www.jobsdb.com/HK/EN/V6HTML/J...ews/061109.htm

frankly, the hk regime is already flexible enough to accomodate the influx of foreign professionals. they are just creating a small little patch to fill up some small niche gap requirements.

actually what other incentives are needed other than the generic economical capitalistic supply/demand flows ?

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

incisive analysis

.....our visionary Government invites us to jump with joy after it hands out residency of the Big Lychee to 83 sports stars, concert pianists, PhDs and other eugenic wonders under the extremely exciting Quality Migrant Admission Scheme. As we glide past the Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Emporium, personnel manager and fellow commuter Ms Ng looks up from her newspaper and asks me, “Yes, but what are supposed to do with them?”

....... The fact is, this is a scheme for famous Mainlanders who want to stash their foreign earnings in a nice, safe bank account far from the clutches of the glorious motherland’s dedicated tax officials. At the margins, they will bid up the price of our extremely scarce decent-sized apartments, which, as everyone knows, will add immensely to our economic growth.

.....our wide-eyed, open-mouthed officials will point stupidly and say, “Look, we have residents with really impressive credentials like top people in New York and London,” and break into a big smile on realizing how clever they are to have made Hong Kong such a big and important place.

hemlock ...9th Nov 06