Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By cathy789
  • 2 Post By ArKay
  • 1 Post By dizzydancer2005

TESOL

Closed Thread

TESOL

I am thinking of doing a TESOL course at Trinity College , Sheung Wan. Does anyone know how useful this course is to find an english teaching job here? I have no qualifications related to teaching though english is my native language. Is this course good enough to get me started in a career as a teacher?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by revesi:
    I am thinking of doing a TESOL course at Trinity College , Sheung Wan. Does anyone know how useful this course is to find an english teaching job here? I have no qualifications related to teaching though english is my native language. Is this course good enough to get me started in a career as a teacher?

Thanks.

What is it you want? to teach English or to have a teaching job which uses English as the medium of instruction? There's a big difference in qualifications needed! To teach English a TESOL/TEFL should do provided you're a HK resident.

If you want a teaching career here then you will need to do proper teaching qualifications (local or int'l) to get a decent job ($).... I just copy pasted this from the EDB website.

Teacher Registration

Section 42 of the Education Ordinance stipulates that any person who teaches in a school has to be either a registered teacher or a permitted teacher.

Permitted Teacher (PT)

A person who holds only academic qualifications (i.e. has no teacher training and teacher qualification) may apply to be a PT by completing a Form 10. The first step he/she has to do is to get employed by a school, so that the school supervisor can file in the Form 10 to seek permission to employ him/her as a PT. Upon approval, a permit to teach will be issued. The permit is deemed to be invalidated if the PT ceases to be employed in the school specified in the permit. As such, when the PT is employed by another school, the school concerned has to apply for another permit to teach by completing a Form 11 even though the teacher concerned has already been registered as a PT previously.

Registered Teacher (RT)

A person who holds teacher qualification (e.g. a local Teacher's Certificate or Post-graduate Diploma/Certificate in Education) and is a Hong Kong citizen (for non-Hong Kong citizen, a valid employment visa from the Hong Kong SAR Government and documentary proof of teacher employment are required) may apply for registration as a teacher by filing a Form 8 to the Teacher Registration Team of this Bureau.

EDB - Teacher Registration
    revesi likes this.

The Trinity TESOL cert is one of the two internationally recognised TEFL qualifications (the other being the Cambridge CELTA) so yes, it's a good start.

If TEFL work is what you're after then it'll put you in a better position to get a job in language centres/tutorial schools in HK for sure.

Dizzydancer's right in theory re mainstream teaching, but in practice there are TESOL qualified teachers working in both local mainstream schools and local private schools (not the likes of ESF, HKIS, etc. but small, private, English medium schools). But you'll need some experience under your belt to get those kind of jobs.

And you can be a career TEFL teacher - alongside the people who do TEFL to travel, or do it because they've no other skills HK wants, or are here with working partners and want to do something to keep them occupied, there are career TEFLers and there is a definite professional development path you can follow if you choose.

HTH.

revesi and albertchan like this.

Agree with previous posters. it can certainly get you into the tutorial centres teaching English. it can pay about $200-300 an hour depending on experience and qualifications. working hours can be between 9am right up to 10pm at night.

but if you want to teach in primary or secondary schools in hong kong, you will need a degree (preferably in Language studies) to back you up.
    check out [url=http://www.edb.gov.hk]The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China |

revesi likes this.