living wages suggestions

Closed Thread

living wages suggestions

i am in the process of interviewing for jobs (music teaching), and i am wondering what a reasonable salary would be to ask for. i have a relevant bachelors degree and 3 years teaching experience... my boyfriend is advising me to ask for twice what i think is necessary, since it is so expensive here. any suggestions? what do you who live and work here think is a reasonable salary for a single person making a living (a better one than in the US- i don't want to work out here and *just get by*) in hong kong?

thanks so much!

Salary Advice

Hi there!
    I was in your shoes exactly when I moved to Hong Kong - it is always difficult to know what to ask for when you are unfamiliar with the currency. However, I can tell you that there is a very big teaching industry here. I am also a teacher (however not music), and there is such a high demand for us!!! SO.....DON'T AIM FOR ANYTHING LESS THAT YOU TRULY WANT!!!! If an employer wants you enough, they will be willing to negotiate with you. A lot of the time your salary will be based on your qualifications and experience, and from what you said in your post, you have quite sufficient of both. It's hard to say what a good salary would be for you to do more than just "get by". It depends on how much money you need for rent, how often you go out, travel expenses to work etc.

My advice is try to aim for a salary that allows you to live comforatably and pay rent, have a decent social life, and have some savings at the end of the month too. Aim for a higher salary than you want/need and then you will get what you want.

Hope this helps!

wonderful- thanks! i am feeling a little hesitant to ask for a huge salary, but i really would like to save money at some point in my life.... : p

what do you teach?

I've sent you a PM!!

Interested in this post. I teach performming arts as well. The company I work for presently is paying us blaringly lower than what seems to be the norm. Any advice?

For what I understood a family income of more than HK$20,000.00 a month is considered an above the average one.
    Probably it doesn't included housing.
    I think that with everything above HK$20,000.00 + housing you should be able to make a decent living and save money.