Barclays Capital

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

agree with freeier...

Though Im wondering though why you wouldn't know IB if you're going into Barclays. My reading is same with freeier, perhaps you're with support?

I agree IB is IB, but in general, European banks are more laid bank than American ones. Though my experience in IB is only an internship, I never did weekends compared to my cohorts in American banks...

Barclays Capital is more of a fixed income/debt market house, not an i-bank per se, not much of an advisory or equities business. Some groups still work pretty long hours, but (especially across the organization) we are not talking about an M&A lifestyle.

A bit of a surprising question for somebody going in as 'senior management' - unless it is a support role, like freeir suggested.

Luckily neither IT or Admin, more business focus and no need to support other business units, so hopefully it wont be too bad !!

Good luck! I just find your description a bit vague.

Im sorry,
    Ill elaborate if/when I find out that im successful..I dont want to tempt fate
    Hopefully ill know soon!!

thanks for your insight so far!

If you're working in senior management then I'd expect long hours, you should be setting an example to those below you after all. I'm actually wondering how you managed to get to that level if quality of life and short working hours is your priority in life, nothing wrong with it (I agree with it personally) but doesn't tend to be the attitude that gets to the top

Hmmm ... is it me or do we have a tough audience in the house today?

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyC:
    If you're working in senior management then I'd expect long hours, you should be setting an example to those below you after all. I'm actually wondering how you managed to get to that level if quality of life and short working hours is your priority in life, nothing wrong with it (I agree with it personally) but doesn't tend to be the attitude that gets to the top
    I should be setting an example?..what?..that it takes me longer than a day to do a days work ?
    Should i sit there surfing until a morally acceptable time ??
    If i have done my work, ill go home....if others havn't..well that is their problem...i dont care how they manage their day as long as they manage their work with the project timescales/deadlines

I personally allocate my team realistic timescales for delivery. If these are not met, it is due to either on oversight on resourcing or the person in question is not pulling their weight.

I dont expect anyone to martyr themselves, i just want things done in a timely fashion, and if they are working late because of resourcing i will allocate more...I expect a full days work, not 12-13 hours of half hearted effort.

Quality of life yes, but i never said anything about short hours. I would not expect anyone to work after 6-7 unless there was an unexpected event....like i said, if there is a need to work all hours then your doing something wrong with either resource allocated or personal time management.

As you said, you are wondering how i got to my level if quality of life is a priorty... easy, i get asked to do a project/task...i do it and it works.
    I dont need to make sure my boss see's me at my desk at midnight, or send him an email at 02:00 just so that he knows im commited.
    If i get ahead ill step off the gas and leave early and come it late..and i have no problems with my staff doing that...the end result is all i care about.

I get the job done on time and thats it...

I have never been one to compromise, if im assigned something and i dont think it can be done in time etc, ill reject it and state my case.

Most senior management could not give a **** if you stay late/miss your wife birthday/the birth of your first born etc etc..

Neither do they mind if you get in at 9 and leave at 5..

In my experience the end result is key..how you get there is down to you.
    It would personally not impress me if someone has to stay all night..to me i would think they are either slow/inept, or wish to use free internet/phonecalls..

And yes, Knowitall.......tough audience

Well judging by that rant something definately hit a nerve

And yes, if you're getting paid a lot more than the people below you, I would expect you to put in the hours. But then most senior managers don't actually do anything anyway and spend the time justifying their fat salaries.