Like Tree15Likes

Advice on getting job in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hi,

My name is Mary Grace, from the Philippines. Iam new in this site and I dont know its whereabouts. Pardon if I send yu this query message. I am currently looking for employer to work as domestic helper/caregiver/nanny/personal assistant. I am Business Management graduate and Professional Caregiver graduate, knows how to swim,CPR , FIrst Aid, Reflexology and Therapy Massage. I had hard time loking for employer whos enable to offer me job and employment anywhere in Honkong and other related countries.

To know more about me, kindly view my url video resusme at http://www.caregivers.ca?marygrace7486
    or kindly email me at [email protected]

Truly yours,
    Mary Grace

TO: Rajossie

It's really nice you brought this topic mention your interest in Hong Kong and Consultancy/ Banking. I found it very informative.

As I'm very new to Hong Kong and just arrived from UK after completing my MBA, I don't have any definite answer or information regarding your concern. However, as far as my effort on finding job here in HK is concerned, I have already started learning Mandarin while applying for jobs.

With regards to Management Consulting, I share exactly the same situation like yours. Although I have an MBA from UK, I am still not finding welcoming into this industry in Hong Kong. I checked with McK, Bain, and few others and realised that they want you to be familiar with the regional language which is obviously Mandarin.

You could try out to other countries where English is considered as main language for example Singapore (as COOLGIRL did suggest you before) or try back in UK itself. Important thing is to remember is that Most of the Management Consulting firms have their application closing date during the month of Sep, Oct, Nov, and Dec for the following year intake.

If you are serious about Hong Kong then I think not only I but you as well have some time (few months) to seriously learn Mandarin and apply for an MC Associate role. I am emphasizing on Mandarin than Cantonese is because majority of consulting firms deal with businesses based in Mainland China. You'll find 7 out of 10 job adverts asking for mandatory Mandarin and English language and the remaining Cantonese and English (some with all three). You don't need language and will get job easily ONLY and OF COURSE you have strong contacts on decision making level of some business. HR is irrespective in that regards.

TO COOLGIRL
    Hi...
    It would be really nice if you could advice me on Management Consultant recruitment process, your formal / informal interviews, sort of tasks you were assigned on after getting the position, etc.

Many Thanks..
    Neil

NeilP

Check the date dude! 2006!

Hehe.. didn't see that... thanks jimbo...

Quote Originally Posted by rajossie:
    Thanks for replies...

I feel a bit stupid as from current offers in London (but not the careers I really want) I could be on $40-50k (US) starting salary but to transfer across HK i would be starting on much lower base rate.

Are the jobs really that competitive? Is the grad market in boom or downturn?
    Does anyone know any banking/consultancy firms that may not discriminate against non-chinese languages?
    $40-50kUS is £26-33K. That's a bit of a normal somewhat miserable grad salary in London, especially if you are paying rent on your own and living in a decent central area. It's not bad, but by no means is it substantial. Rent can easily be £1000 a month, unless you don't mind commuting for hours each day, or sharing a flat with pals.

In the UK tax is so much higher than in HK, and everything is so much more expensive. Depending on your lifestyle, of course, you need to be pulling in a lot more than that in London to ensure a good standard of living, have a good time going out and all that, and to be saving each month. £26-33K is a typical hand-to-mouth grad salary in London. If you make a fat bonus, that's another thing.

Grads in HK live at home usually. Actually, I know tons of people with good jobs living at home until they get married in their 30s, it's completely normal and it balances out the high housing costs for the locals. Making peanuts in HK works for them, but not necessarily for foreigners who need to pay rent and like to live it up like young people often like to do.

It struck me strange that you asked about any firms that don't 'discriminate' against non-chinese languages -how is it 'discrimination' if they need you to speak the local language? London based firms or any other companies in English speaking countries don't often offer jobs for people who speak zero English do they? It's not discrimination, it's common sense. There's tons of youngsters in HK who have same kind of qualifications as non locals but speak English, Cantonese, and some Mandarin - of course they have an advantage.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by neilp:
    just arrived from UK after completing my MBA
    Am I alone in being immensely saddened by the fact that the UK education system now gives MBAs to people whose English is this poor?

Oh.. Thanks PDLM...

nice try indeed!!!.....

I don't know about the others but I am definitely saddened by such immature response especially from grown-ups!!!!

Guess somebody needs to growwww up!!!!!

Unfortunately for you, it is older people like me who, in general, appreciate a reasonable level of competence in English who are likely to be the ones you are looking to for a job.

joljon likes this.

Well... 'Older people' .. certainly yes... but 'like you?'.. I really doubt....

Besides, if you claim to have so called reasonable level of competence in English, why show offs?????

In general, people with good manner don't show snobbish attitude like you did. Well, if you are among those braggarts, then, fine by me. You are welcome to show your character....

I may be younger to you but glad that I have better manner than yours. At least, I do know what courteous behaviour is all about.....

Little advice for one like you PDLM... You won't turn out to be great simply by disrespecting others..............

I am merely trying to point out, as a courtesy, that the level of English you have displayed here is not even close to being good enough to get into companies like McKinsey & Bain if you are claiming that English is your first language. You are wasting your time and need to set your sights more realistically.