Like Tree1Likes

Living in Shenzhen, Working in Hong Kong

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I think Futian is probably the place to go - the crossing from Lok Ma Chau is much quicker than Lo Wu but not much difference in time from Sheung Shui. But you would save alot of transport costs if you just live in Sheung Shui (the MTR to the border is hyper expensive - but not HKD30 as suggested - I think it's closer to HKD22). I'd take a look at small studios in Sheung Shui first if I were you before making a decision. If you are young you're not going to care much about having a big place! Better to have more free time.

Quote Originally Posted by dantart
    Sorry the postings about living in Shenzhen are so negative as your boss is right, it is a great solution to high costs in Hong Kong. I live in Futian, Shenzhen and commute to Sheung Shui in 20 minutes. Not illegal to live in Shenzhen at all, you just have to register with the police once a month (a complete formality but necessary) and leave China once a month, which you are doing anyway. Thousands of people commute across the border every day and you'll get a much better apartment in Futian, Shenzhen than you'll ever get in HK for the same rent. (There is quite a bit of ignorance about living in Shenzhen unfortunately and having lived in both HK for many years and Shenzhen for many years I can tell you from my own experience that Shenzhen is the solution to HK's very high cost of living. There are no problems living in Shenzhen at all - residential areas have very high security and lovely gardens, often with a pool and gym.)

The best map is the Map of Shenzhen, with pocket taxi guide, which you can get in Dymocks booksellers in HK (eg IFC, Harbour City, Central Building, Lyndhurst Terrace etc).

If you'd like some suggestions for good residential places in Futian, just ask.
    Dantart, how do you handle the issue of 'clearing customs' twice every day? As someone said earlier do you not find your passport is getting full every few months and does it not take a lot longer than the 20 minutes just stated just toget through passprt control? (Assuming your using HKID & Passport for this purpose.)
    ..When I was working in Tin Shui Wai I know a few of the people used to communte daily from Shenzhen, however they were HK PR with Chinese passports so was easy for them.

Thanks

I had a friend here who commuted TO Shenzhen every day, from Li Chi Kok - but he had an APEC card which made all the difference he said.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3