Expected salary for retail jobs....?

Closed Thread

Question Expected salary for retail jobs....?

Just a quick question.

Would be possible to survive on a retail wage... typically sales assistant or similar, what would their wages be per month after tax?

Sales assistants -- depends where. I'm sure the sales gal at Tiffany's makes a little bit more than the girl at Giordano.

Heh, that's a point.

HMV for example then please?

...I guess around HK$ 7000 a month with a 6 day week

Yeah -- don't expect too much out of places like HMV. Not possible to survive unless you're living with parents or family.

The other issues is most places will need fluency in Cantonese.

Ouch, well my english and cantonese is fine, its just I can't read/write much chinese =P.

Oh well... was just getting a rough idea of job possibilities for someone like myself that has been 'stuck' in the games industry.

some shops will hire people who speaks "foreign language" (for specific outlet location) **such as TST area, Time Square, IFC

most of the requirement is not only english as priority, it is "mandarin" now!

anyway, if you can speak english or other language, your may expect higher salary. usually those specific outlet has better business, too..
    as the foreigner can buy alot in each purchase.

normal salary starts from HK$7000
    but you can expect it to go up to a minimum of HK$11000

**shops like ESPRIT and Lane Crawford will pay higher.
    but Lane Crawford's first interview is "appearance"
    at least the sales must be looking very decent and clean,...

and then, second part of interview is "english speaking"...
    (must sound like a foreigner, no accent)

and then according to your level of skill (appearnce + english + quick respond/quick mind thinking/smart and polite )...the luckiest one will be assigned to "Lane Crawford IFC"
    many movie stars (including Japanese stars and foreign stars) go to this one only !!(and they are very picky)

Last edited by cb1118; 27-07-2006 at 01:22 PM.

cb1118, you've just given me a little more confidence now. yay!!

esprit sounds good, love esprit stuff...

as for Lane Crawford, might have to throw some good ol' school words at them.
    [whips out comb and goes for side parting]

Rika, looking at the last few posts that you've posted, I'd say position yourself a little bit upmarket than HMV is.

Also, you might be able to find a lot of boutique / small businesses where the owner needs a little bit more than just someone who rings up the order. They tend to look for someone who can be trusted and someone who can actually manage the shop.