Trip to ReloCenter

Closed Thread

Trip to ReloCenter

I went to ReloCenter (http://www.relocenter.com.hk/) for a free consultation on getting an employment visa.

It's located in a small office in Shui On Tower in Wanchai. For some reason, the name listed in the directory is "Aqua Source" instead of ReloCenter.

Once upstairs, I was taken to a room in the back and met Bonnie Lam, whom I explained my situation to.

A bit about my situation:
    - US citizen
    - fresh college graduate with computer science degree
    - family business in Shanghai/Hong Kong that I am trying to get an employment visa for

According to her, it's unlikely that I will get approved based on my current situation - especially since I just graduated college (too fresh), and the lack of business experience. She suggested that I shift the focus to "taking over the family business", and advised me to change my resume around a bit to account for this.

All in all, the stuff she said made sense and she was quite helpful. However, she more or less made it sound like there is no chance in hell I would be approved without her help (which I assume is the standard tone for these services, since they want your money).

I received an e-mail next day from Bonnie detailing the services:

The full employment visa package includes:
    -consult on documents required for your employment visa application;
    -prepare a tailor-made document checklist to sponsor company and applicant;
    -complete all necessary Immigration forms for applicant;
    -review and reorganize the documents collected from applicant in favor of Immigration policy;
    -submit the application to the Immigration Department;
    -reply all enquiry letters from Immigration;
    -draft all letters which need to be signed by the applicant/third parties/sponsor for submission to Immigration;
    -monitor the process of application;
    -keep the applicant/employer informed on the status of application; and
    -endorse the visa onto the passport or deliver the visa label to the applicant.
    A Letter of Engagement was also attached, should I accept the offer.

Cost: HKD $10,000 (50% deposit, 50% on approval of visa)

I haven't made a decision yet, but $10k is just kinda on the ridiculous side for me...so I will probably end up filling out the forms myself with whatever advice I got from the consultation, and hope that I get approved.

Anyway, just thought I'd share this for those that are thinking about going there.

- bernard
    Last edited by emptystring; 08-08-2006 at 12:26 PM.

They probably share the office with AquaSource, one of our suppliers.

I'll let this review go through .. but do tell them that it is not a substitute for them advertising on here.