weird HK jobmarket....

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

It also happened to me!! One pretty big head hunter ruled me out due to "better candidates" for a job for which I had more than 8 years experience in a type of software development that is hardly done in Hong Kong (cell phone). Plus it was a Mobile TV protocol that I had already worked on. Plus the client was UK based and I have been working in the UK for several years. I wonder who these better candidates where since the cell phone software development is next to non-existent in Hong Kong. So, I totally understand your frustration.

In the end I got my job through an agent based in Australia! And my skills wheren't even that close. So I wouldn't trust some HK headhunters.

I think restructuring your application may help but rather try and find different headhunters or direct contacts. Go abroad if you need to, e.g. see if there are foreign headhunters recruiting for Hong Kong in your industry.

ever heard of the german chamber of commerce?
    Maybe you should try to look there first....never underestimate the "nationality" factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    ever heard of the german chamber of commerce?
    Maybe you should try to look there first....never underestimate the "nationality" factor.
    Good idea, I went to a few of their cocktail parties and they have a big focus on networking; sometimes they are joint events with other chambers of commerce (French, Dutch etc.). For higher level positions, networking is critical (not just in HK but especially here).

The Germans in textile industry might still be hanging out in TST - Schnubarrts or one of the other german bars. Ask around ...

Hey! I know that place! I will turn up there, see what happens.

I will update you on my fight for the job

Hi expatpanda
    I just sent you a pm - hope some of the ideas are helpful to you.
    KIA - It's not really the Schnurrbart in TST anymore. Since Peter has gone a few years back we all moved over to the Biergarten in Hanoi Road.

Elle -- thanks for the update.

Hope to see you guys at one of the next happy hours. It has been ages since I joined...

Thank you KnowItAll for the contact to Elle...
    @ Elle, I will contact you on your private email....

See you guys in the Biergarten.......

Mr Panda, you owe me a Erdinger and a couple of Schnapps.