Like Tree2Likes

Teaching English in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Teaching English in Hong Kong

Hi! I've been reading the forum and found a bit regarding teaching English in Hong Kong but there wasn't too much.

I'm a recent graduate from the University of Calgary with a BA in General Studies, looking to secure a teaching job before I arrive in late August but have had no luck. I have a TESOL certificate and English is my native language. I've applied to a bunch of jobs online but have not had any responses. Will it be easier to find something once I get to Hong Kong?

I was born and raised in Canada but my background is Chinese. I'll be coming to Hong Kong with my Caucasian boyfriend and I really hope at least one of us will be able to find something before we get to Hong Kong or if not shortly after we arrive.

Thanks!

Do either of you have the right live or work in Hong Kong yet?

No, neither of us have one. We were hoping to get sponsored so we could apply for a work visa. But because we're Canadians we can stay in Hong Kong for 90 days without a visa.

Without qualified teaching status in Canada it will be difficult to land a job with decent pay/benefits. Why Hong Kong? Taipei may be better suited for your lack of experience and lack of credentials.

Hong Kong is an expensive place to just arrive and then search for a job, but you would have better luck being here than being in Canada. It will not be easy for either of you - that is the truth. The requirements for entry-level positions are higher in Hong Kong than elsewhere in Asia.

Remember to visit teacher's websites for info. This one has something for you: Job Discussion Forums :: View Forum - Hong Kong

Last edited by squid; 26-07-2010 at 08:37 AM.

As Canadians (if you are under 30) you can also apply for a Working Holiday Visa, which would let you take casual work legally for a year while you look for something more permanent.

As you are a recent grad, HK seems like an odd choice. Or do you have family in HK as you say your background is Chinese? How about the Jet program or something equivalent in S. Korea where requirements are lower?

also there is lots of English Teaching Opportunities in Japan too which hires fresh grad native speaker, u might wanna took into that too..!

We were orignally going to go to Japan but after GEOs went out of business, there seems to be less jobs on the market because of the influx of foreign teachers. So we were hoping to try our luck in HK.

We also applied for the JET programme but we didn't even get to the interview stage.

I just applied for the Chatteris programme so I hope I'm given an interview for that at least.

You'll probably get into the Chatteris program, but you're going to be working hard for peanuts...that being said, it's a good way to get started out here.

Government NET programme?

A lot of places aren't hiring overseas after the economy took a hit. I've noticed a drastic drop in the number of teaching posts for English teachers too, as well as increased difficulty in clearing immigration.

Hong Kong is no longer the easy option...

Good luck!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast