Internal transfer or going on my own

Internal transfer or going on my own

Hi, guys,
    I am working in US - not in an MNC now. I want to go to HK for variouse personal reasons. I am chinese and speak english, manderin, and cantonese. but I am an american citizen so legally, I need sponsors.
    I am thinking of getting a job at an MNC consultancy (technical, software) and ask to transfer there. Is this a good idea? basically I think HK's salary is good enough for me to not consider the difference - if such a stratagy makes me wait too long.
    I am single and really bored here. So I want to go as soon as possible ...

Thanks for advices!

You can try for a local contract in Hong Kong.

The company can still sponsor you, but needs to explain why there is no local person with the same qualification available.

However, local contracts have less salary and less perks than expat contracts.
    Some companies also have a mix between a local contract and an expat contract. For example if they only have money for local contracts but need an expat for the expertise. So the salary is a bit higher and you get a housing allowance and maybe more annual leave, etc.

It's a free country, anything is possible.

If the US is too boring you might want to try China at first. They have a shortage of qualified personnel everywhere and some people say Shanghai is better than Hong Kong.

Last edited by Expatriate; 28-08-2006 at 09:51 AM.

If the US is too boring you might want to try China at first. They have a shortage of qualified personnel everywhere and some people say Shanghai is better than Hong Kong
    So I heard too ... but I wonder if I can make equivelant salary(as in HK). HK's salary is not exactly the same but it's good enough so the pay cut is not as painful ... Am I wrong in assuming this?

Hi there,

Don't forget that HK tax is a lot lower than the US - 16% versus 36%, so essentially even though a "hk" package may seem significantly lower, you can also factor in the tax. It's always easier to get an internal transfer as you're guaranteed a job in HK. The HK market is good, but because it's good there are a lot more candidates to choose from. Many clients are looking for candidates who have HK experience, therefore, if you only have exposure in the US it may be more difficult compared to a local person. Candidates in HK can also speak fluent English, Cantonese and Mandarin. My advice is start contacting recruitment companies and also companies direct to learn more about your industry so you are prepared for HK once you move out here. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ucdaggie03:
    Hi there,

Don't forget that HK tax is a lot lower than the US - 16% versus 36%, so essentially even though a "hk" package may seem significantly lower, you can also factor in the tax.
    If you're an American citizen you'll still be subject to US taxes albeit with a more generous threshold and no state tax, so take that into account when you budget.

Quote Originally Posted by z754103:
    If you're an American citizen you'll still be subject to US taxes albeit with a more generous threshold and no state tax, so take that into account when you budget.
    It depends on which state you live in. There are states with residency requirements and if you want to return to that state in a few years, you'll still have to pay taxes.