Employment Termination - immigration status

Closed Thread

Question Employment Termination - immigration status

My visa expires at the end of June. My contract has been terminated and my employer has notified Immigration already. I need to stay in HK becasue my fiance is still here, and want to start working again in September. Am I permiited to remain in HK? Under what status? I plan to apply for permanent residency after 7 years, will the 3 years I have accumulcated until now, be lost as I will no longer be on a work visa?

Please help, someone...

No, you cannot stay in HK... you are not employed and immd has been informed that your emplyment has been terminated.

Seriously, why would immd want to or try to let you say in HK??

Whoops.... either, time to seek another job and maybe a sponsor for a work visa, alternatively get married and provide evidence to show you can support your fiance, independently.

I think those are your only options.... you could stay as a alien, not sure how the gov will look at you though.

Emigra

hello

If you are able to arrange transfer of sponsorship before your visa expires to another sponsor before June that would be the best option. If you are on a visitors visa status this time does not count towards your 7 years. The immigration department does except some small gaps in the 7 years and they understand people have to reorganise their personal situation.

Is your finance a permanent resident? If so then once you are married you can apply for a dependant visa and work in Hong Kong, without having to then apply for an employment visa.

Thanks for the advice Emigra.

Somemore questions:

- My fiance is not a permanent resident either. He is on a work visa. After weare married, may I apply for a dependent visa?
    - If my company has already notified immigration, will immigration contact me to change my status?
    - As I plan to travel in and out of HK in the next few months, what status will I be travelling on? My visitor visa or should I still use my Employment visa (until the end of June)? After the end of June, then I will automatically be on visitor status, correct?
    - Let's say that I am under an employment or dependent visa, is there a restriction on how many days I leave Hong Kong at one time in terms of qualifying for premanent resident status?
    - Will I need to surrender my HK ID card?

I appreciate your help!

Emigra

hello

- My fiance is not a permanent resident either. He is on a work visa. After weare married, may I apply for a dependent visa?

Yes, but you cannot work.

- If my company has already notified immigration, will immigration contact me to change my status?

You can stay in Hong Kong on your current employment visa until it expires. Then it is your responsiblity to arrange a new employment visa, dependant via or visitors visa.

- As I plan to travel in and out of HK in the next few months, what status will I be travelling on? My visitor visa or should I still use my Employment visa (until the end of June)? After the end of June, then I will automatically be on visitor status, correct?

Correct once your employment visa expires then you will need to change to a visitors visa.

- Let's say that I am under an employment or dependent visa, is there a restriction on how many days I leave Hong Kong at one time in terms of qualifying for premanent resident status?

Do you have something currently planned? Yes there is an effect on your permanent residency application if you have an employment visa and then leave Hong Kong for let say 1 year.

Hi,
    Could you pls advice how to be permanent recidency in HK ? let's say now I am working, then after how many years ? or any others condition I have to apply to get ?
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by marco69:
    Hi,
    Could you pls advice how to be permanent recidency in HK ? let's say now I am working, then after how many years ? or any others condition I have to apply to get ?
    Regards
    Try reading some of the FAQs on http://www.immd.gov.hk

Marco69,

I am no expert but I believe that you must be legally in HK for seven years in order to qualify for permanent residency.

Emigra

hello

Yes that is correct but your time on a visitors visa does not count.