Help: IB Job hunt in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

geestah - have the recruiters and networks actually told you there is a specific senior opening for a financial controller position at a bank? or was it more that they would keep your details on file until something suitable came along?

I think that part of the problem is twofold: (1) there may be very few senior controller positions out there in the market (as opposed to say IBD) and (2) most (if not all) of senior controllers would not be looking to make a move this close to the bonus cycle.

A combination of the type of role and the seniority of the role is the hindrance I think.

If you can hang on till Feb next yr i'm sure the more senior guys will leave or relocate and there should be opportunities then. Good luck!

i think the other reason is that there are not too many senior financial controller position opening and chances are alot of banks wld rather promote their management trainees/associates into the position.

it is very much different from front office position where people are flowing around very fluidly and banks try to keep their guys while at the same time trying to proach others!

I've had a number roles from AVP/VP level up to AD levels run by me from the recruiters. Interestingly, at first instance the roles proferred by the recruiters are ones where I don't tick all their client's boxes. Following their numerous discussions with me, however, the recruiters feel confident they can get me in for interviews yet the interviews don't eventuate. And of course trying to get meaningful feedack from the recruiters as to why is nigh on impossible.

On the other hand there are roles that I identify where I tick all the boxes and fit the job spec perfectly yet still don't get in for interviews. It's all very strange.

You're thinking is the same as mine Expat Sam - it's not going to be until chinese NY at the earliest until people start moving. Strange thing is though when I planned my arrival in HK at the end of March this year it was with that thought in mind and still nothing came up.

Thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by geestah:
    I've had a number roles from AVP/VP level up to AD levels run by me from the recruiters. Interestingly, at first instance the roles proferred by the recruiters are ones where I don't tick all their client's boxes. Following their numerous discussions with me, however, the recruiters feel confident they can get me in for interviews yet the interviews don't eventuate. And of course trying to get meaningful feedack from the recruiters as to why is nigh on impossible.

On the other hand there are roles that I identify where I tick all the boxes and fit the job spec perfectly yet still don't get in for interviews. It's all very strange.
    Yup went through the same thing when I was in HK earlier this year.
    Some of the roles I was perfect for as I held the exact same role for a competitor previously and not even getting an interview.

And other roles where I was lacking the skills and experience required but still getting interviews.

It is indeed very strange here in HK when it comes to recruitment policies etc.

Its got to the stage now where I am actually retiring from I.T in the Banking/Finance industry and pursuing other options.

Recruiters here in HK would rather wait 18 months for a perfect match as opposed to hiring somebody thats say a 90% match and training them up for the other 10% and getting them in immiediately.

not sure if i agree with that.
    maybe for the support functions they are different,
    but IBs recruitment are generally done by the line managers and not the HR depts. That's part of the reason why u can hear a post thru network and the guys will ask u to go thru the recruiters. They do not have the HR to screen the people for them.

i do get calls once in a while on quite unmatched positions and occasionally they still want to talk to me. matching or not sometimes its not just skillset, its personality, and also maybe some of your resume content.
    e.g. if u hopped alot of jobs, then people tend not to want to talk to u unless they are desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    matching or not sometimes its not just skillset, its personality, and also maybe some of your resume content.
    e.g. if u hopped alot of jobs, then people tend not to want to talk to u unless they are desperate.
    Understandable but the problem is that they don't understand the market in London for example, About 80% of the helpdesk roles here are contracts thus there will be a lot of job hopping.

In 6 years of being in London I have worked for 6 different companies all on contracts and thats perfectly normal in this industry/market.

i agree with freeier - front line and executive roles are different and they are not offered on contract for starters... in fact, i know ppl from middle office who have been hired and retrained for front line sales within IB.

generally in HK ppl dont job hop as much - most of the helpdesk guys i know have been there for a long time and most are permanent - i'm sure they started on contract but eventually got offered permanent positions... i'm sure the position is similar in london - if you want to make it in a particular field, you'll stick with the company, get the experience and then get promoted. And for the international banks, i'm sure they know the IT industry norm in London - the head of IT is usually someone from London or New York!

jimbo for your case i think they understood. just not keen to offer u the pay that you need to get the visa i suppose. u were getting the interviews right.

for some people it cld be due to their frequency of job hops.
    i ever saw a resume the ger was applying for a trader job but she was formerly a risk manager at the blown up china aviation oil... that's obviously a minus for her but she is going to get called up alot for interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    jimbo for your case i think they understood. just not keen to offer u the pay that you need to get the visa i suppose. u were getting the interviews right.

for some people it cld be due to their frequency of job hops.
    i ever saw a resume the ger was applying for a trader job but she was formerly a risk manager at the blown up china aviation oil... that's obviously a minus for her but she is going to get called up alot for interviews.
    haha - sounds like she didnt do a good job as a risk manager! maybe she should be a trader!!

Yeah I guess it's just luck of the draw when your resume goes over to line managers. Unfortunately in the back office you're dealing with guys who are very black and white in their approach. There seems to be distinct lack of forward thinking entrepreneurial flare when it comes to their decision making.