Teaching in English

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Teaching in English

Hey,

can anybody tell me about the job prospects, and career oppurtunities of teaching in English at the secondary level or higher?

I am looking to pursue a career in education; though I am fluent in English, I am not looking to teach English as a subject, but rather a variety of subjects in English.

Thanks!!

What teaching qualifications do you have?

currently, none.

I am going to enter university in the year 2007/2008 and am trying to plan out what courses I would need to take, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Regor:
    currently, none.

I am going to enter university in the year 2007/2008 and am trying to plan out what courses I would need to take, etc.
    Hi Regor, for your situation. It is hard to prove that you can teach English if you don't have any teaching qualifications. The best way to prove you can do this job is your university degree!

I used to be in your situation. I couldn't get a job of teaching English before studying university. Currently, I am teaching English one lesson per week in a secondary school because I am a second year student in university at Toronto (I am taking a year off to get working experience.).

Hope this helps!Cheers.

what course you doing at university canucktony?

Quote Originally Posted by killahbad:
    what course you doing at university canucktony?
    I am doing some Philosophy, Economics, and History courses.

except... he does NOT want to teach english... he wants to teach OTHER subjects using english as the language of instruction.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    except... he does NOT want to teach english... he wants to teach OTHER subjects using english as the language of instruction.
    There are not too many choices for me that I can choose to teach in Hong Kong tho.

Btw, teaching English is tough as hell, especially you have a group of hyper students.

i've been teaching english for 12 years...i've never had a problem with students... it's usually parents that are the hassle.

The behaviour of students in Hong Kong is far better than in the UK.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast