Like Tree3Likes

Sponsorship for Native English Speaker

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsorship for Native English Speaker

Hi team,

I'm heading to HK with my fiancee and we're planning to make HK our home. Our flight lands on Thursday 2nd September and I raring to go. We last tried to settle in HK at the beginning of 2009 but this time I'm confident of success. My fiancee is from HK but I'm a UK citizen so the challenge is to find a job with a company that is willing to sponsor me and that works in the English language.

I'm aware it would be easier for us to get married first and then look for work once I've secured my HKID card but I want to try the other (hard) route first!

I believe that scoring a job in HK is all about who you know and working the good old networking. I've registered as a job seeker on here (take a look at my CV if you think you can help!), am keeping a keen eye on jobsdb, classified post and career times but what I need to do is meet people. So, who's keen for a beer anytime at the beginning of September?

My experience is in retail management, where I have lead teams ranging in size from 5 to 55. I love to work with customers and to sales targets. That said I'd happy to try something new so long as it'll give me a challenge and keep me busy.

Finally, if you've got any other suggestions on what I should be doing to realise my plan then please, please let me know.

Sorry for the long post. As the saying goes, I didn't have time to write a shorter one!

Cheer and hope to meet some of you soon,

Niki

The issue is not so much who is willing to sponsor you, but what skills and experience do you have which cannot be found in the local population? That is the primary criterion that Immigration uses for judging whether to grant an Employment Visa.

An alternative, if you are a graduate, is to consider the Quality Migrant Admission Scheme.

Looks like I've got a score of 100 points. I read that 80 is the minimum but wondered if you have an idea how likely a 100 point score would have?

Many thanks for suggesting this option too :-)

Basically if you are above the minimum and you provide all the necessary supporting paperwork (criminal record checks etc) then you get it. I haven't heard of anyone who had enough points and all the paperwork and wasn't granted the visa. There are a few people on this forum who have QMAS visas. It takes several months though.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I know you don't want to go with the "easy" option (i.e. marriage, dependent visa), but to be honest there are some employers out there who don't want the hassle of applying for an employment visa. So you could be reducing the pool of potential employers.

Failing that, how do you feel about teaching? They are always looking for native English speakers... you may need to get a qualification first, there seem to be a number you can do here or online....

Actually I'm quite amazed by the Quality Migrant Criteria. Naively I always thought it was for people who had done pioneering research in molecular biology or Olympic Gold Medal holders or something.

According to the checklist anybody under 50 with a bachelor degree and 5 years work experience who speaks English or Chinese meets the criteria? That 50% of the people in the world! (OK, it's not 50% but anyway wtf?) And anybody who meets those criteria will get a visa? There are no criteria about whether that skill is needed in Hong Kong?

No offence to the OP but that seems incredible if that's really the case. That's a huge number of people who are seemingly eligible for basically unrestricted access to Hong Kong? Surely there must be more to it than that?

So basically what I'm saying is ...... wtf?

It is the case. The pass mark used to be higher, but they have a quota to fill and so they lowered the pass mark to try to get more people. At some point enough people will twig that this is an easy way to get into HK, the quota will be reached, and the threshold will be raised again.

(My guess is that it would be less than 5% of the world, by the way)

dipper likes this.

Its worth remembering that the qmas only lasts for 12 months, although it is renewable for a further 12 months.

Also, if its retail management that you wish to go into, then this may not be well paid in Hong Kong. There is also a good chance retail stores want you to speak fluent cantonese-otherwise a number of customers and staff may have difiiculty in understanding you.

I do have a suggestion though-apply to Li & Fung or Luen Thai, etc, who are basically supply chain distrubutors througout the whole world for retail stores, and are based in hong kong. I am sure they wiill value your past experience more than a retail store and its an interesting job.

Quote Originally Posted by blueyeboy:
    Its worth remembering that the qmas only lasts for 12 months, although it is renewable for a further 12 months.
    I'm not aware of any visas that are issued for more than 12 months in the first instance. QMAS is just as renewable as an Employment or Dependant Visa - the only conditions are that at the end of the first 12 months you need to have physically migrated to Hong Kong, and at the end of 24 months (and subsequent renewals, which are then in 2 year intervals I believe) you need to be doing something productive (in a job, running a business, etc).

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast