Interview Etiquette.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Interview Etiquette.

I've been called for an interview for a web developer position. I'm new to Hong Kong and I'd like to know how a formal interview is normally conducted. Do I need to wear a suit, or is casual formal wear, like dark pants and button-up or polo shirt sufficient. What kind of questions should I prepare myself for? Are they mostly interested in my professional qualifications or would they also like to know personal information? For example, I'm staying here on a dependant visa, so I'm sure they would like to enquire about my wife. Should I greet the person with a firm handshake or a bow?

Any pointers will be helpful.

no need to do anything different from your typical western interview.

Oh and

Shirt and tie is a must and no need to bow as this isn't japan you know.

don't price yourself out of the market when it comes to salary negotiations if a salary hasn't been agreed beforehand.

Last edited by jimbo; 09-10-2006 at 08:42 PM.

I recommend a suit for the interview. A firm handshake should do and leave the bows for any visits you may make to Japan. Expect questions about your profession but with an emphasis on the position on offer. If the position is permanent then expect questions on your career aspirations.

I'm staying here on a dependant visa, so I'm sure they would like to enquire about my wife. Should I greet the person with a firm handshake or a bow?
    Keep in mind it is illegal to ask about family status, race and other personal paticulars. So it would be illegal for them to ask if you are married and details of the relationship.

Thanks everyone for the input. I appreciate your help. Wish me luck.

certain things are illegal but are you going to sue them for asking you if you are married ?

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    certain things are illegal but are you going to sue them for asking you if you are married ?

Beat around the bush if it is going to change your chances of getting employed!

but certain things are unpredictable.
    e.g. they might wnat to send u on work trips so they do not want someone married, or they might want someone married so are more anchored to the job and will not hop on impulse...

so why not just be truthful. if u managed to get a job by hiding certain facts, when the crunch time comes u are still going to be penalized for being in that state

Just coz it is illegal does not mean they will not ask it. It has been illegal in UK for years but I know women who have been asked the following:

- how will you look after your children when you are at work?
    - will your husband mind you earning more than him?
    - (for an engineering job) do you mind getting your clothes dirty?

There is very little you can do about it so you might as well just answer the questions honestly. If you tell them it is none of their business you won't get the job anyway.

A very well-known MNC (based in the US) once asked my friend for details of her parents' current jobs when she applied for an entry-level position there....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast